How many rendhave does aa completeg game have?

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
Hey guys, I'm planning on developing a game for real this time and I already starded writing and learning how to code.
I'm planning a development process for the game so I can set and reach realistic goals within the development cycle.
Would one of you guys be so kind as to tell me how many renders a completed ren'py game like acting lessons, dod, dmd and such, have in average?
Thanks ;)

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Hey guys, I'm planning on developing a game for real this time and I already starded writing and learning how to code.
I'm planning a development process for the game so I can set and reach realistic goals within the development cycle.
Would one of you guys be so kind as to tell me how many renders a completed ren'py game like acting lessons, dod, dmd and such, have in average?
Thanks ;)
I wouldn't worry too much about how many renders a completed game has, especially since each of those games you listed vary in update lengths and how long they have been out for.

My first release had 100 images, which is small. Most updates for Acting Lessons are 600+ images, which is considered big. Depending on gameplay and paths you can take, 600 images can be quite small if you only see some of them on certain paths. And you can artificially extend your game by making many lines of text for 1 image.

Set a goal if you have a monthly update, 10 images per day is 300 in the release.

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about how many renders a completed game has, especially since each of those games you listed vary in update lengths and how long they have been out for.

My first release had 100 images, which is small. Most updates for Acting Lessons are 600+ images, which is considered big. Depending on gameplay and paths you can take, 600 images can be quite small if you only see some of them on certain paths. And you can artificially extend your game by making many lines of text for 1 image.

Set a goal if you have a monthly update, 10 images per day is 300 in the release.
I'm putting more thought on the long term thing because the pc that I have right now is pretty shitty, i3 540k, 8gb ram and a geforce gt 1030. So I know that I'll have a fuck ton of trouble to render the first releases. And the way the story is coming together, I'll have almost too many lines of text for each image. I also thought about using sprites like in DfD, but I'm not sure if it would make any significant difference, because the plot is kind of all over the place and I can't repeat bgs and sprites all the time without it getting boring.

Seeing as the game would be plot heavy and not a waking simulator, if I made a big 0.1, kind of like a prologue, and took longer to update the game, would it hurt the number of players?

I'm also confused about patreon, I'll obviously release the game here for free. But I need to upgrade my pc and we are in the middle of a recession in my country, 900 dollars equals almost 5000 brazilian reais right now, and a custom pc with everything made to render would be 5000. So I don't know if I put up a patreon page when I release the prologue in the coming months.

Sorry to bother you with my nonsensical questions! Thanks for answering :)

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I'm putting more thought on the long term thing because the pc that I have right now is pretty shitty, i3 540k, 8gb ram and a geforce gt 1030. So I know that I'll have a fuck ton of trouble to render the first releases. And the way the story is coming together, I'll have almost too many lines of text for each image. I also thought about using sprites like in DfD, but I'm not sure if it would make any significant difference, because the plot is kind of all over the place and I can't repeat bgs and sprites all the time without it getting boring.

Seeing as the game would be plot heavy and not a waking simulator, if I made a big 0.1, kind of like a prologue, and took longer to update the game, would it hurt the number of players?

I'm also confused about patreon, I'll obviously release the game here for free. But I need to upgrade my pc and we are in the middle of a recession in my country, 900 dollars equals almost 5000 brazilian reais right now, and a custom pc with everything made to render would be 5000. So I don't know if I put up a patreon page when I release the prologue in the coming months.

Sorry to bother you with my nonsensical questions! Thanks for answering :)
I'd say use this time to practice rendering.

Most people don't want to fund a game with nothing to show for it, to help you upgrade. I would recommend holding off on Patreon until you have a working 0.1

I'd also recommend avoiding sprites. If they aren't in the game, no one will ask about them. It's extra renders, and it's one more thing you can mess up as a new dev. I speak from experience, I had sprites in my 0.1 and no one misses them.

Reactions: Psych0_

Psych0_

Oct 5, 2017
I'd say use this time to practice rendering.

Most people don't want to fund a game with nothing to show for it, to help you upgrade. I would recommend holding off on Patreon until you have a working 0.1

I'd also recommend avoiding sprites. If they aren't in the game, no one will ask about them. It's extra renders, and it's one more thing you can mess up as a new dev. I speak from experience, I had sprites in my 0.1 and no one misses them.
Thanks! ;)

I'll get to work finding the rest of the assets I need to make the 0.1 renders.

I hope I'll post create a new thread showing off the characters and asking for criticism soon.

Reactions: thecardinal

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
The "sprites vs no sprites," to me, is more a question as to whether your game is going to focus on game play or on imagery. As an example, Summertime Saga uses sprites, and doesn't (in my opinion) suffer for it, because there's enough game play (and a reasonable amount of variation in the sprites) to keep it interesting. And "custom render for almost every combination" would have been hellacious for a game that involved. But each game is different, and each author and player has a different opinion, so "your mileage may vary." LOL

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
To this need to be added the fact that some games use the same images many times. By example, an image picturing the roommate entering the room the MC is can be used as starter for all the scene when... she enter the room the MC is. This whatever will happen next.
What matter is more what said @Rich . Whatever it's sprites or full rendered images, the important things is both the variety of the visual part and the amount of gameplay. You can have an interesting game with few images and boring games with 3Go of rendered images.
This is especially true for games using animated sprites. Whatever if the character is always standing in the same place and same idle position. The simple fact that it's animated (blinking, few motions) remove the boring effect you can find in too many games. The game will have, lets say 10 images, instead of a hundred of them, for "girl is standing in the kitchen", and still it will feel more living and so the player will remember them as more enjoyable.

Reactions: Psych0_ and Rich