How much do you care about maps in RPG Maker games?

How much do you care about maps in RPG Maker games?

• I always pay attention to the details and care a lot.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I care about them.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I don't mind as long as their design is fine.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I don't care at all.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Shinneru

Game Developer
Nov 10, 2017
Hello! As title suggest, I wonder how much attention people pay to the maps in games created in RPG Maker. I am in the middle of creating my first project and my biggest issue so far is that I criticize myself a lot (since I want to deliver high quality product) and seem to lose too much time changing designs of my map over and over again. Do you guys even care about maps being super good or not - granted they're fitting / they are not huge and empty, etc.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Spend more time fleshing out areas that the player is going to frequent a lot, and add enough to areas that aren't visited as much. If each area have the same amount of screen time, start prioritizing areas that contribute most impact to gameplay down to the least.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
I definitely do, especially if the MC must explore them, find hints and so on.
But: for me you don't need to respect lengths and proportions.
I liked VX (ACE) games, where rooms where tiny and extra-detailed.
With MV I have seen many devs creating rooms that have more realistic dimensions (if compared with the character and the furniture), but that are often empty.

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Please no boring corridors and squares.
100% agreed, games like treasure of nadia and lust epidemic are popular because they dont follow this, not to mention they arent fighting games so there are no encounters like that and are more mystery and searching while most rpgms are combat focused
i remember playing a rpgm where hte map was so big and there was to many places to go into that i deleted it because it was too much for me, id prefer where its much smaller but more detailed and certain areas open up after doing specific tasks

hgameartman

Game Developer
Dec 31, 2019
In my opinion, the maps should fit the game.
My game has big maps, yes, but that's because the scope is huge. I haven't added more than a few maps in the last few months because I've been mostly focused on filling in the ones that I do have with details and content! It's super-easy to get lost, but basically everywhere you go is more content!

I try to aid traversal, meanwhile, by giving players a detailed, in-game map listing all the areas and their uses, and placing maps on the walls at key points (mostly stairway centers) that show your current position. The map is also laid out partially logically, with the first floor having resources such as kitchens and the infirmity, while the second floor has most of the intellectual classrooms and the library, third floor has a major focus on physical activities with gym and martial arts rooms, etc etc)

I also increased default movements speed, disabled dashing (so you don't have to hold a key or enable the option to speed up) and added fast travel options to places that you must go to frequently like classes to reduce tedium in repeat-trips, as well as a fast-travel system that lets you cross vast distances via a central hub room (that unlocks new areas to travel to over time!) (And is also in the process of being built into a secret-base style area with the option to decorate it and add useful furniture!)

There's also teleportation spells you can learn later, but for now they're resource limited (although the resource can be both crafted and bought easily). And secret passageways that, once unlocked, can let you jump basically cross-map in seconds if you get them down.

I make big maps, but I try to reward players for learning the layout and secrets. And without the space I gave myself, expanding systems and adding content would be a pain and would reduce the scale of the world. It's supposed to be a huge, grand castle school! Not some tiny little fort in the hills!

And that's not to say that I don't understand how having such an open world could be confusing! I have more plans to reduce the problems that this open-world style of design can cause, they just need some time to be put into action.