How much does 3d modeller cost?

Exiscoming

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2018
Having mostly just worked with 2d sprites for my games so far, I'm kind of interested in branching out into 3D.
However, getting a solid idea of the budget has been difficult. How much would it cost to have someone make a 3D model from scratch?
I'm looking to get an estimate for these costs:
  1. Modelling
  2. Texture
  3. Rig for animations
  4. Animation(s)
And then once these are all done, how much would it be to commission different outfits / hairstyles?
I'm hoping to go with an artstyle similar to this one:
ying.jpg

Jofur

May 22, 2018
To start I would look at something like Fiverr to get an idea of the type of quality/services you want. The cheapest would probably be just buying existing assets. It's what most people using pre-rendered do(apart from using free assets). You would need to find someone who is happy doing sex animations and stuff like that however.

Did you do the art for Paprika Trainer? If so, I say stick with it. I think a lot of people on here(myself included) would appreciate decent 2D art over just another pre-rendered 3D game.

Exiscoming

Game Developer
Jun 2, 2018
All right, after some digging I'd say it would cost about $500-$1000 to get a humanoid model fully made, textured and rigged.
It's something to keep in mind for the future, for sure =)

On the subject of 2d or 3d. I personally love 2D (both Orange Trainer and Paprika Trainer were 2D), but I have noticed how some of the biggest adult games out there are all 3D. I've been wondering what people's preference is.

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
All right, after some digging I'd say it would cost about $500-$1000 to get a humanoid model fully made, textured and rigged.
It's something to keep in mind for the future, for sure =)

On the subject of 2d or 3d. I personally love 2D (both Orange Trainer and Paprika Trainer were 2D), but I have noticed how some of the biggest adult games out there are all 3D. I've been wondering what people's preference is.
You're gonna get as many different opinions as the users of this site. Imho you should do whatever style makes you happy/content.
For me, I don't really care whether it's 2d or 3d, as long as it has some semblance of quality and the art style is appealing.
In any case, good luck with the search. And lastly, holy shit, paprika trainer looks really good.

Jofur

May 22, 2018
No real preference. Though a 2D game will almost always get me immediately interested if I like the art, whereas a pre-rendered 3D game need to do a lot of stuff right in terms of gameplay and setting for me to give it a go since they basically all look the same. For example I tried out both Orange Trainer and Paprika Trainer even though I've only seen a few episodes of Clone Wars and not a single episode of Totally Spies, mainly just due to the art being nice.

I might be wrong, but I think the reason some of the biggest games get big is less about art style(well, as long as it looks good I mean) and more about subject. No matter how much everyone complains about clichés, the "point & click sandbox, young scrawny dude in a modern town filled with hot women & family members to fuck" is just popular in general. No matter if it's Summertime Saga or Milfy City.

Corvo Bianco

Aug 1, 2019
I don't think this is reasonable. Someone who can provide this quality will charge at least $25/hr., and expecting this model to be made in 3-5 days is just crazy. It will take at the very least twice as much time.