How much does a full set of commands cost to create a game on the RPG engine?

Anys_Negra

Feb 22, 2022
I would like to find out from people who have already had the experience of recruiting people to create a game, how much the services of all the right people cost and the price of producing the game, you can even name an approximate price.

cisco_donovan

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2020
Too many variables. How much art? What kind of art? How much gameplay? How complex the gameplay? How much for marketing? Do you care what country you're recruiting from? Have you planned the game effectively, do you even know what you need or will it all need to be re-done when the project pivots after two months (and oh it will)?

I expect even a humble game will cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce.

Reactions: aura95

Malachite1789

Dec 25, 2019
Can't say how much a team would cost but i'm making my own rpg in renpy just for fun. I'm doing the coding and writing (the easy parts for me) but i did look into hiring an artist or two. Just for the first level of my rpg dungeon crawl the rough estimate i worked out was around $12k-$15k (there are a LOT of scenes and i need 16 variations of each scene depending on player choice). I have 4 levels to the dungeon. (So yeah i'm making my game text based lol)

Anys_Negra

Feb 22, 2022
Jesus Christ, thank you for the information, I think with my savings I can hire a prostitute for a week at most.

Anys_Negra

Feb 22, 2022
Too many variables. How much art? What kind of art? How much gameplay? How complex the gameplay? How much for marketing? Do you care what country you're recruiting from? Have you planned the game effectively, do you even know what you need or will it all need to be re-done when the project pivots after two months (and oh it will)?

I expect even a humble game will cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce.
Oh, I forgot to clarify more information about the game, sorry

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
I would like to find out from people who have already had the experience of recruiting people to create a game, how much the services of all the right people cost and the price of producing the game, you can even name an approximate price.
I can only speak from my own experience about the game we're making, but it's a lot. I'm the writer on our team, there's a lead artist, and a scripter. We're all working together and have joint custody over the project, so we're not technically getting paid (our Patreon money goes toward commissioning another, secondary artist), but when you factor in the opportunity costs of our labor it gets into the tens of thousands of dollars (especially for our artist).

Now you can easily get way cheaper production costs, especially if you live in less developed country where the cost of living is lower (or you hire people from such countries to work on your game), but unless you can do art/coding/writing on your own it's still going to cost you. For example, a good artist can charge as much as $500 per full-res colored image with a background and multiple characters. Say you need a set of 5 CGs, the price adds up very quickly. Sure you can go cheaper, but in the end you get what you pay for.

Reactions: Malachite1789

Anys_Negra

Feb 22, 2022
I can only speak from my own experience about the game we're making, but it's a lot. I'm the writer on our team, there's a lead artist, and a scripter. We're all working together and have joint custody over the project, so we're not technically getting paid (our Patreon money goes toward commissioning another, secondary artist), but when you factor in the opportunity costs of our labor it gets into the tens of thousands of dollars (especially for our artist).

Now you can easily get way cheaper production costs, especially if you live in less developed country where the cost of living is lower (or you hire people from such countries to work on your game), but unless you can do art/coding/writing on your own it's still going to cost you. For example, a good artist can charge as much as $500 per full-res colored image with a background and multiple characters. Say you need a set of 5 CGs, the price adds up very quickly. Sure you can go cheaper, but in the end you get what you pay for.
Thank you very much for the answer, as well as the people who answered above.

Reactions: Vanderer