Daz How to add shadows in backdrop backgrounds?

Daisuke Kanbe

Game Developer
Nov 8, 2020
Hi, I am trying to render this scene with a backdrop backdround image. But when I render it, there is mo shadow from figures, even if draw ground is on. How do I make shadows appear in the render??

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

S.O.M.

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2021
you can raise your characters by about "200" on the x-axis, then there will be no shadow. Just watch your coordinates. Render your chracters on the main settings for the location of shapes, then add image to background, as mickydoo said.

Ps: if the settings are set by default, then the shadow of the characters will be from the left, if i remember that correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daisuke Kanbe

S.O.M.

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2021
oh, also, look at the settings of your light, where it is directed. Plus, as I noticed from your preview, the background image is located below the "imaginary daz' floor". This means that your shadow is somewhere in the middle of your background, in the air. Maybe I'm wrong, I have very little experience in daz.

Reactions: Daisuke Kanbe

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
It's something not much people use but it can be quite useful sometimes.

You can make any primitives (like plane on a floor) to catch shadows :

Let's say make a 3x3m plane under your figure.

01.png

Select your plane, go to content library pane, Script>Utilities>Create Advanced Iray Node Properties.dse

02.png

Still with your plane selected:
Go to parameter, enable Iray Matte
Go to surface, set Glossy Layered Weight & Glossy Reflectivity to 0, Refraction Weight to 1.
(bonus: you can set Metallicity to 1 & Refraction Weight to 0 for mirror like effect)

03.png

Last edited:

Daisuke Kanbe

Game Developer
Nov 8, 2020
It's something not much people use but it can be quite useful sometimes.

You can make any primitives (like plane on a floor) to catch shadows :

Let's say make a 3x3m plane under your figure.

View attachment 1019897

Select your plane, go to content library pane, Script>Utilities>Create Advanced Iray Node Properties.dse

View attachment 1019901

Still with your plane selected:
Go to parameter, enable Iray Matte
Go to surface, set Glossy Layered Weight & Glossy Reflectivity to 0, Refraction Weight to 1.
(bonus: you can set Metallicity to 1 & Refraction Weight to 0 for mirror like effect)

View attachment 1019914
Wow, thank so much for such a detailed explanation.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Wow, thank so much for such a detailed explanation.
One thing to know about the "shadow catcher" that no__name described - in recent versions of Daz Studio, the edges of your primitive may show. It used to be that the primitive ended up really transparent in the render except where the shadows fell on it, but, of late, that's no longer the case. My solution to that is to make the primitive large enough that its edges are off-screen. That way, you don't see the ghostly line where it ends.

Daisuke Kanbe

Game Developer
Nov 8, 2020
One thing to know about the "shadow catcher" that no__name described - in recent versions of Daz Studio, the edges of your primitive may show. It used to be that the primitive ended up really transparent in the render except where the shadows fell on it, but, of late, that's no longer the case. My solution to that is to make the primitive large enough that its edges are off-screen. That way, you don't see the ghostly line where it ends.
That's a great tip. Thanks!