Daz How to add veins in daz3d? I know skinbuilder can do it, but it only has 1 preset choice/option.

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
Okay so what assets in daz3d help you add veins to the breasts? This is the effect I want to generate (this example is from vam), and I want to have multiple options:

1674869160277.png

I know skinbuilder8 can do it, but it only has the one option. Do any daz3d gen8/8.1/9 figures come with some sort of transluceny breast layer/shell/map whatever to showcase faint blue veins?

1674869351786.png
This is what you get from skinbuilder, and yes there's a slider for options, but it doesn't slide, because the tool only comes with 1 option. Makes me wonder if you're supposed to build your own alternate options or what?

This is actually a base feature in genesis 8 and 8.1 the stock figures come with veins in the sss texture!?!

1674872474848.png

But looking at most paid character's SSS textures they're just greyscale copies of the basic colored skin texture. So this is a free feature most paid assets lack, but SURELY some paid assets include this? yes? anyone got any examples?

1674872591541.png

Loading them as color is clearly wrong though.

Okay in iray you can pop the veins with full weight and white color
1674873131589.png greyscale means set translucency color to white
but with this much translucency the transmission color is popping too.

Okay so this is almost right now:

1674873279120.png

This is now "almost correct" and would let me add veins to any iray character using the base starter essential included SSS, BUT I wanted blue veins not red ones :( Not sure how to flip that.

So, anyone still same question as before? any non-starteressentials charcters have this kind of sssmaps? Also what am I missing about translucency sliders that's messing me up here?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Forget about Skin builder whatever.

You got here 2 levrages for blending your veins in Uber shader (imho):

-Diffuse map
-'SSS' map (translucency map)

Since you gonna use high transclucency (superior to ~.8), SSS map may be way way too much, blend it on the diffuse for more subtle result o/ (it's normaly the other way around tho but still)

Last edited:

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
Forget about Skin builder whatever.

You got here 2 levrages for blending your veins in Uber shader (imho):

-Diffuse map
-'SSS' map (translucency map)

Since you gonna use high transclucency (superior to ~.8), SSS map may be way way too much, blend it on the diffuse for more subtle result o/ (it's normaly the other way around tho but still)

Okay so veins decal as diffuse:

1674986125450.png

Not sure what I am doing wrong but they look awful.

Same decal edited carefully directly into the skin texture, loaded as base skin:

1674986233817.png

Yes the edited version is shrunk down a bit, but uh, my real problem is that the color is lost when I choose diffuse, forcing me to try and set a single color for it, rather than just loading whatever color is in the file?

Third image, geoshell with opacity. Gives more control than diffuse, although it's discoloring her torso despite the opacity texture I created being designed to prevent that. 1674988005806.png
Image 4: The opacitytexture I made. I don't see how I could've messed it up, I set background back then greyscale the image. 1674988046511.png

TLDR I can make an ssstexture and use that and get a good result, but in doing so I disable my ability to control the veins via sliders and they can only be edited via photoshop which is tedious.
So, how does this method work for diffuse? It feels like that would allow me to dial it up and down, but so far it looks terrible when I try.

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
I did mess up the opacity, it works perfectly, the skin was messed up for unrelated reasons. Whoops. So yeah.

1674990399653.png

This is a geoshell version of the texture so it can be a moveable decal for any figure. But it looks a lot worse than it does in the versions where it's edited into the base skin.

And diffuse doesn't retain the colors from the texture image for some reason when not being used as a geoshell?

The main reason I don't blend it, is that I don't know what that means :)

Okay, I see, I was using the wrong diffuse options.

1674990754683.png

If I use diffuse overlay weight as my greyscale opacity texture diffuse "works". And setting color to white or black retains the purple from the texture's image. But it's harder to control than a geoshell. The geoshell's colors only look right at like 18% and 25% strength and the diffuse strength slider doesn't function the same way, hmm. In the geoshell slider menu there's a slider for intensity of effect and a slider for purpleness of effect. But doing it purely as a diffuse in the main surface there's only intensity and roughness, neither of which control purpleness.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Call me an imbecile (and clearly I am lol) - but what even the point of your geoshell? Outside being a pain in the ass?
Why not working directly with the texture?

Last edited:

left1000

Sep 13, 2020
Call me an imbecile (and clearly I am) - but what even the point of your geoshell? Outside being a pain in the ass?
Why not working directly with the texture?
I already have the custom edited texture version? (I guess I forgot to post it in this thread.)

1674991078846.png
It looks great! BUT it required editing this one texture file "RyLeony_torso_1002.png", meaning it's a custom edit for every single character you wish to use it on. The geoshell would fit ANY figure/character.