Daz How to add wrinkles to clothing?

kratos1097

Jul 28, 2022
Still so much to learn :), I've been trying to search how to add wrinkles to clothing. One particular scene that caught my attention was Nami from Summer's Gone and the wrinkles on her underwear. How tf do you do this haha? Any tips? I've used mesh grabber but can't get it to work. I saw Wrinkle 3d on daz but idk how difficult it is or if serves my purpose. Any comments greatly appreciated!

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Still so much to learn :), I've been trying to search how to add wrinkles to clothing. One particular scene that caught my attention was Nami from Summer's Gone and the wrinkles on her underwear. How tf do you do this haha? Any tips? I've used mesh grabber but can't get it to work. I saw Wrinkle 3d on daz but idk how difficult it is or if serves my purpose. Any comments greatly appreciated!
You don't. The asset probably come with the wrinkles.

Okay, in theory you can but for real, I can almost guarantee that those panties comes with the wrinkles. Like these for example:

Reactions: kratos1097

kratos1097

Jul 28, 2022
You don't. The asset probably come with the wrinkles.

Okay, in theory you can but for real, I can almost guarantee that those panties comes with the wrinkles. Like these for example:
Thank you! I’m glad I was over complicating it , so sometimes it’s all about the assets then.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I think it isn't real wrinkle in the item itself but some photoshop trickery on the texture by whoever made it.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I think it isn't real wrinkle in the item itself but some photoshop trickery on the texture by whoever made it.
It's a normal map... Now as how to bake normal maps. Can't make a quick post about as it's generally back and forth process until you are satisfied.

How you do it generally :

1- Export your mesh (say panties) as obj as base level from Daz
2- Make a copy of that mesh on your favorite sculting software at higher subdivision (twice, thrice...).
3- Make it that the 2 meshes fully overlap
4- Find alpha brushes for cloth (many free) for sculting.
5- Scult the wrinkles on your high poly meshes.
6- Bake your high poly mesh as normal map on you low poly mesh

I would avoid Blender for sculting not because tools are bad (they are good imho), but because micro-stutter (it's unbearable). Baking maps with what suits you (Blender, Zbrush, Maya, 3DS, SP, xNormal...). Also Uber shader is a little weird with normals, don't hesitate to crank it up a little o/

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Just pointing out that meshgrabber will be very unlikely to give a good result because the mesh of nearly all daz clothing items is far too coarse to give enough resolution for realistic wrinkles. As others said, a combination of bump/normal map and some cheating on the diffuse map will be a much better way to do it.

Reactions: MissFortune

felldude

Aug 26, 2017
As mentioned

Bump maps created an illusion of wrinkles by changing the pixel color same with normal maps. They do not change the model in 3d space

Displacement maps can alter the 3d model, the higher the sub-d value the finer the displacement and also longer render time

The deformer tool can grab and move anything in 3d space

If your wrinkling something like a mattress convert it to sub-d and add a conforming target of what ever is sitting on it/deforming it...unfortunately this is limited to one at a time and most clothes are set to conform to the base model

Last edited:
Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
felldude is correct. Here's a page from blender manual clarifying bump vs normal:

Note that it is entirely possible to simulate small wrinkles just with bump map, and unlike normal maps you could potentially draw a bump texture by hand if you had a template showing the UV map of the clothing item. Bump is also relatively fast compared to high-sub-d + displacement map.
Because a bump only affects the light bounce off a surface you won't get actual occlusion of other geometry, but as I said you can probably get away with it for small wrinkles like the ones on the panties in the example image posted up the thread.

Reactions: felldude

felldude

Aug 26, 2017
Test.jpg

This is the effect of white lines on 128,128,128 grey for a displacement map.
You can start with a bump or texture map just make sure to neutral grey the whole thing out.

White is a bump (heh) and black is a dip.
This was sub-d 3

Reactions: osanaiko

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
cheating on the diffuse map
As someone who makes my own textures time to time when I need it (far from saying I'm good at it tho), it's really the last option if really you're still not satisfied with evereything else (or really just want to fine tune a render).

You generally want to keep diffuse maps as clean as possible (no highlight, no shadows). I remember old V4 diffuse texture that could be exellent candidate for a good skin (in a Daz/Uber setup), but took ages to clean because the way to go at that time was to bake few lights in it. If the goal is to chain renders, it's gonna get old real quick.

Normal/Bump/Disp, maybe less extatic on displacement due to how Daz/Uber manage them, I'm not sure it's worth it. Whatever you choose, having the right brushes = saving lot of time. I think can do wonder with that kind of small edit in very short time. Baking normal can look tedious at first but once you did few it's really not that huge of a problem.

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
View attachment 2718340

This is the effect of white lines on 128,128,128 grey for a displacement map.
You can start with a bump or texture map just make sure to neutral grey the whole thing out.

White is a bump (heh) and black is a dip.
This was sub-d 3
Excellent, I love actual experimental evidence.

Can I ask what it looks like if you do the same on the bump map?

felldude

Aug 26, 2017
Guess not deleting things right away paid off....not really experimental for me as I've been painting in 2d and 3d textures for awhile....extremely poor quality yes I did it in 1 minute :ROFLMAO:

(Probably my best 3d painting story is painting an 8k bump texture and accidentally hitting the about 40% of the 3d model with the brush, I hadn't saved so I had to wait 4 or 5 minutes for it to process)

If your 3D painting things like veins on skin it important to match the displacement and bump, I didn't over paint over the existing cloth bump for this (to much work for a test) I just slapped the bad displacement on the bump.

For people that aren't part of daz program and have access to the HD morph converter displacement is a good option (I've heard rumor of it floating around)

Trying to keep it fairly simple since your just starting in Daz, I would reccomend watching a video on how to make morphs for daz in blender...so so many things on the DAZ market (Not Daz products themselves) and elsewhere for 5$ or 10$ can be made in blender in a few minutes.

test 2.jpg

Last edited: