Daz How to bake image assets in a room prop?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hello,

i just wondering if that's possible.
Right now i work with some props like hospital bed or European apartment and i added some images in the frames.
But whenever i remove these images, DAZ tells me they are missing which is correct.
Can these images be saved or baked into that prop in some way so you don't need the images anymore?
The original prop came with images as well i think but they weren't separately. At least i think.

I added them either directly as base map or via the image editor.

Thank you

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
Unfortunately no. Baking typically refers to the opposite of what you described like taking a shader and baking a texture map out of it.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Unfortunately no. Baking typically refers to the opposite of what you described like taking a shader and baking a texture map out of it.
Ok, so i need to have these assets with the game. No problem there. I just thought they could be "baked" in somehow. Well, maybe the wrong term but you know what i meant.
Thanks

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Hello,

i just wondering if that's possible.
Right now i work with some props like hospital bed or European apartment and i added some images in the frames.
But whenever i remove these images, DAZ tells me they are missing which is correct.
Can these images be saved or baked into that prop in some way so you don't need the images anymore?
The original prop came with images as well i think but they weren't separately. At least i think.

I added them either directly as base map or via the image editor.

Thank you
Images that are used as textures for assets are stored in a different spot inside the Daz Studio content folder than the .duf files you click on when you load an asset. So, the original prop certainly did include the images - they are just stored in an area that isn't normally visible through the Daz Studio UI.

If you go into your Daz Studio content folder, you'll see folders like "People," "Props," etc. that you see through the UI. But there's also a "data" folder and a "Runtime" folder that aren't visible. These contains a whole bunch of support file. Traditionally, the image files that came with the asset are stored in directories under "Runtime/Textures".

So, the original images aren't "baked into" the .duf file - they're on your file system and are pulled in as needed.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Images that are used as textures for assets are stored in a different spot inside the Daz Studio content folder than the .duf files you click on when you load an asset. So, the original prop certainly did include the images - they are just stored in an area that isn't normally visible through the Daz Studio UI.

If you go into your Daz Studio content folder, you'll see folders like "People," "Props," etc. that you see through the UI. But there's also a "data" folder and a "Runtime" folder that aren't visible. These contains a whole bunch of support file. Traditionally, the image files that came with the asset are stored in directories under "Runtime/Textures".

So, the original images aren't "baked into" the .duf file - they're on your file system and are pulled in as needed.
Oh man, that makes absolutely sense. I just did not think of it.
Well, it doesn't matter really for the render but whenever i load the scene it can be a problem. I keep these images for now in my RenPy folder. At least i know where they are.

Thanks for explaining.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Oh man, that makes absolutely sense. I just did not think of it.
Well, it doesn't matter really for the render but whenever i load the scene it can be a problem. I keep these images for now in my RenPy folder. At least i know where they are.

Thanks for explaining.
So, it's possible to have more than one "content directory" in Daz Studio. Based on this, I have things organized like this:
  1. I have a D:\Daz3d\Content folder, in which all my Daz Studio content is loaded
  2. Underneath that, I have D:\Daz3d\Content\DIM. This is where I point Daz Install Manager, so that any DIMs I install have their content there.
  3. I also have D:\Daz3d\Content\Mine, which is where I put anything I create.
  4. Both D:\Daz3d\Content\DIM and D:\Daz3d\Content\Mine are set as content directories.
  5. Under D:\Daz3d\Content\Mine, I have a Runtime/Textures/{my name}/{game name}/ folder where I put custom images, etc., for games I'm building.
With this structure, any custom items I have are "inside the Daz Studio space," which makes DS slightly happier. It also means that I can move stuff to a different machine without older assets croaking on being able to find things. Daz is happy to hard-code full paths into files, but if you keep stuff inside it's "space," it only uses paths from the top of the space, which means I could migrate all of this to a different location on another machine, and it'd work just fine. By that, I mean that, in this scenario, Daz only stores /Runtime/Textures/{my name}/{game name}/{image name}, on the assumption that this path will exist in one of the multiple content libraries. It doesn't care which - it'll try one after another until it finds it. On the other hand, if the file is NOT underneath one of Daz's content paths, then it hard-codes the full path to the image.

But the bottom line is that if you want to load an asset that has a custom image, Daz has to be able to find that custom image, so you either have to have it in the Daz space (at the same relative path as you used originally) or you have to have it at the same absolute path outside of the Daz Space.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
That really gives me an idea.

Currently i only have my personal stuff and the things i downloaded outside of the DAZ store in my documents folder under DAZ.
But i am at the point when i have a hard time finding items.
So a mistake i did was to not right away to organize what i have.
Anyway, this is clear. My "special" assets have to have their home inside DAZ. So this is done.

I fear i have to reinstall all the content and organize it.

Btw. Do other devs rely on lots of poses?
Most male poses i dislike really. They are not really "normal" and the females, some are useful others not so much. I think i have to much of it.
There are a lot of ZED stuff that is useful to me but to be honest, it's never ending. More and more.

Anyway, thanks for that explanation. I will take it as a guidance for my restructuring or uncluttering of everything i have.

Well, i probably should move my loose assets to DAZ then. Lesser hassle.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Under D:\Daz3d\Content\Mine, I have a Runtime/Textures/{my name}/{game name}/ folder where I put custom images, etc., for games I'm building.
I usually just paste it into the folder of the asset itself. Not the most organized way, of course, but I figure that if it's important enough I'll have a decent idea of where I left it.

Btw. Do other devs rely on lots of poses?
Most male poses i dislike really. They are not really "normal" and the females, some are useful others not so much. I think i have to much of it.
There are a lot of ZED stuff that is useful to me but to be honest, it's never ending. More and more.
Just depends on the developer, usually. I've purchased quite a few out of unrivaled laziness, but I more often than not just use them as bases for the look/pose I'm after, which are largely the 'lower portion' poses for standing. I usually fairly heavily adjust the upper portion, if needed. Zeddicus poses are nice in that regard as there's a lot of singular, partial poses that work for multiple scenarios. Zeddicus has released some pretty nice standing poses , , and . All of them are pretty nice bases to work out from in your regular (non-action) scenes. Wish he made them for males, too.

Agreed on the male poses. They're usually far too effeminate or exaggerated, though the latter being more common among poses period. Which is the trend for male-focused assets on Daz.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I usually just paste it into the folder of the asset itself. Not the most organized way, of course, but I figure that if it's important enough I'll have a decent idea of where I left it.

Just depends on the developer, usually. I've purchased quite a few out of unrivaled laziness, but I more often than not just use them as bases for the look/pose I'm after, which are largely the 'lower portion' poses for standing. I usually fairly heavily adjust the upper portion, if needed. Zeddicus poses are nice in that regard as there's a lot of singular, partial poses that work for multiple scenarios. Zeddicus has released some pretty nice standing poses , , and . All of them are pretty nice bases to work out from in your regular (non-action) scenes. Wish he made them for males, too.

Agreed on the male poses. They're usually far too effeminate or exaggerated, though the latter being more common among poses period. Which is the trend for male-focused assets on Daz.
I found this pose set really useful and damn sexy.
Z Essential Bending and Leaning Pose Collection
Sometimes i think this is a company that does just poses. There are so many.
For expressions i like to use 101 Expression Library with Dials for the Genesis 8 Female
Very useful.
As for the males. Well, they look mostly pretty feminized to me.
So you have to manually tweak them in some way to make them look somewhat more real.

Then there are heels.
I think the poses are unrealistic. If one wears heels they take usually shorter steps. But the poses i have seen show huge steps with heels.
Also which part of the foot touches the ground first.
So manual tweaking again is needed.

Anyway, i think i will toss some poses and expressions as they are not as useful as i thought they would be.
Though i did find some good poses for doors on Renderosity for free.

This is a series and it makes it much easier to have the MC opening a door. It's quite a ????? to do that manually.
So i look mostly for free stuff. Like on Renderosity. There is even a single tear for free. :LOL:

What i never found were fetish heels. Like 6 inch heels of which i am an absolute fan off. There are some nice heels like the Keiko sandals which i love as well but nothing too out of the norm.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But i left the original topic and for that i am sorry.