How to convert Ren'py game to Android.

Commander64

Dec 22, 2018
Can we easily make Android apps for renpy games ?
With Ren'py, I mean exactly Android can be made, but not for every game.
Not available in some games,
How to make valid android app for every game ?

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
what you need is

renpy
Java Development Kit. (not simple to install properly you need to set the path for it)
RAPT

more info here

there was a post for requesting game to made in android at one time I don't know he or she is still doing it or not

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
what you need is

renpy
Java Development Kit. (not simple to install properly you need to set the path for it)
RAPT
And possibly codding knowledge.

Not all games are ported to Android, because not all games can be ported to it.
The Android version of Ren'Py only offer partial supports of the engine features. This mean that, depending of what the game is doing, some parts can just not works at all. And like the documentation is unclear regarding what is, or not, supported, you've to play the ported game to know if something is wrong or not. With experience you can probably just look at the code to know what will works or not.
There's also possible issue with the UI, that can be too dense to be effectively usable as it on a smartphone. As well as the possible issues with keyboard inputs.
Finally, some games use mechanisms that can't be ported as it on Android. There's some by example that have a mini game relying on keyboard input. They have to be tweaked first in order to still be playable on Android.

Now, all this being said, 80% of Ren'Py games are really basic and don't have an UI, therefore they can be ported without problems.

Commander64

Dec 22, 2018
Can we easily make Android apps for renpy games ?
With Ren'py, I mean exactly Android can be made, but not for every game.
Not available in some games,
How to make valid android app for every game ?
I can convert games to Android with ren'py engine.
That's not the problem,
but some games don't work.

Commander64

Dec 22, 2018
And possibly codding knowledge.

Not all games are ported to Android, because not all games can be ported to it.
The Android version of Ren'Py only offer partial supports of the engine features. This mean that, depending of what the game is doing, some parts can just not works at all. And like the documentation is unclear regarding what is, or not, supported, you've to play the ported game to know if something is wrong or not. With experience you can probably just look at the code to know what will works or not.
There's also possible issue with the UI, that can be too dense to be effectively usable as it on a smartphone. As well as the possible issues with keyboard inputs.
Finally, some games use mechanisms that can't be ported as it on Android. There's some by example that have a mini game relying on keyboard input. They have to be tweaked first in order to still be playable on Android.

Now, all this being said, 80% of Ren'Py games are really basic and don't have an UI, therefore they can be ported without problems.
Hmm :unsure:
This explains why some games work and some don't,
But I guess it means I can't make all ren'py games portable applications for myself.

Cunt

Supreme Asshole
Uploader
Donor
Compressor
Feb 7, 2019
Hmm :unsure:
This explains why some games work and some don't,
But I guess it means I can't make all ren'py games portable applications for myself.
Without a bit of knowledge, no you can't. But most of the games have android ports provided by dev or f95 users. If not, you can still request them in the thread here.