How to create 3d/VR game like The Twist?

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Hello! I recently started to delelop a game with 2d drawing, but couple days ago I came across the VR industry and I realised that it is much more promising area for future. And I got the idea to create game with 3d models like The Twist. Because I think that I will able to transfer it to VR later, and now I want to make steps in that direction.

The problem is – I completely don't know how games like this, people creating.

I want to ask people who has experience in developing game like this a couple questions. I don't ask for complete answer, because I think there is very much to learn, I need to know the general principle how to create that (names of the programs/utilities for developing this will be perfect). Here are the questions:

1) How to create such models?

2) How to make models scenes to be 3d? How to make it possible to rotate the scene and see everything in different angles?

3) Which engine allows to do it? Which engine allows to transfer the game into VR later?

4) If I want models to look like real – how would I do that? I need to take the ready models and draw upon them?

Please provide me with basic theory, I will make the further research myself, when I will know the basic stuff and I will know what to study to accomplish that idea.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017

Thank you! But now I want to create not VR, but usual 3d game like The Twist, which later I can transfer into VR. Not much of a sense to do game that I can't play or test yet, I just asking which way I can create a game that will be easy transferable into vr later.

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
Looks like Unity is good for both VR and non-VR. I think now all that's left is to learn how to add models to the scenes, and later – how to make it VR. I think I know what to do, but if someone has something to say – I will be glad to hear it.

johnnyhammatheone

Aug 7, 2019
hey, i'm about to get the occulus quest, and was thinking the same. Also the twist must be one of the best to turn into a VR game. Did you progress?

I think you need a sort of collaboration with another creator to provide scenes ?

Thought I'll discover an entire universe with the VR but it seems that its too early