How to create a (City) Map

3D Novelist

Sep 17, 2020
Whats a good way to create a (City) map for a game?

I mean I could always use a picture of a road map, but that's not very fancy.

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
For a Map? Oh boy .... That's a big question, if it's a fan non-profit project, then I guess you could use any RTS (real time strategy) game with city building features, and just zoom out and take screenshots I guess?

If your city is more specific then you need to add the details to your question.

LaymanBot

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2019
Most games out there just build a city in (It's a city management simulator, most like Sim City) and uses photo mode to get it.

Dilly_

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2020
Most games out there just build a city in (It's a city management simulator, most like Sim City) and uses photo mode to get it.
Huh that seems promising. Is there a creative mode that allows you to build whatever without limitations?

The map from Milfy City seems to be a bunch of low poly objects thrown on top of some terrain and rendered out. Probably easy enough to model yourself in Blender or find some free low poly building assets somewhere.

Map_Day.jpg

LaymanBot

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2019
Huh that seems promising. Is there a creative mode that allows you to build whatever without limitations?
Yes. In main menu, go to "Content Manager > Mods Tab", there are options for infinity money and unlock all buildings. There are also other mods on internet that may help, but I think the vanilla game would be enough for most cases.

The map from Milfy City seems to be a bunch of low poly objects thrown on top of some terrain and rendered out. Probably easy enough to model yourself in Blender or find some free low poly building assets somewhere.

View attachment 1060935
If you have knowledge with Blender, Maya, etc. Milfy City's map style is a good option too.

Reactions: Dilly_

Grap

Feb 7, 2019
That's so stupid easy, I would never have thought to use that. *slaps head*

Thanks!

Selek

Aug 1, 2019
I hadn't thought of that either, and I own Cities Skylines. Does Paradox care whether we use images we generate from the game to make our own games?

DonJoe

Jul 15, 2019
If you want to play it safe it would be the best to ask them for their permission....