How to deal with storyboarding issues pre-production?

Deleted member 1565614

Aug 4, 2019
Howdy,

I'm currently writing up the story of a game that I've been planning to make for a while, and I'm a bit stuck. I don't really want to release it update by update with little changes like some do, I would be more interested in having the whole game with a roadmap on what I want it, and release it in mostly completed chapters (barring bug fixes). My trouble is that I've been browsing models that would be aligning with the overall theme. I want the models to fit what I want to write, instead of writing to fit the models. What would any of you devs who have had the same block recommend?

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
I don't know what you mean by "models". Do you mean what the characters will look like?

I have written up notes and gathered photos of people similar to what I want my characters to look like when I get the art produced. I don't have any art skills, but I aim to provide a LOT of guidance to whoever is going to handle graphics production for me, down to body positions, angles, sets, etc.

Deleted member 1565614

Aug 4, 2019
Yeah, I meant what the characters look like. I was planning to use one of the rendering platforms like daz to make the graphics. Cool, so you pretty much have your plot points and theme all locked in before you have the graphics side worked out, adding tweaks and fixes as you go?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
You will always write to fit the models, there is really no way around it. Looks of the models aside, as you write the story you will find a certain personality develops as you go, something will occur to you in a certain situation. My 5 main characters just started out as 5 pretty girls, they all have just naturally evolved along the way.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
Yeah, I meant what the characters look like. I was planning to use one of the rendering platforms like daz to make the graphics. Cool, so you pretty much have your plot points and theme all locked in before you have the graphics side worked out, adding tweaks and fixes as you go?
Yes. I am first a writer. I can conceive the entire project from start to finish, but I lack the graphic skills to produce it at this time.

I dislike games when they poll Patrons to decide what else should be in the game. I prefer to play games that the dev already knows where it is going and how it will end. Better chance the game gets finished in my opinion.