Tutorial HTML How To Debug(Or Cheat) Twine{SugarCube} Variables

content_eater

Mar 18, 2017
This works as of November 17th, 2017...

[Summary (look down if you don't know how to use this information)]
In general regardless of the browser you press f12 to access the Developer Tools. Then find a tab called Console. This is where you will manipulate the variables.
Object Name: SugarCube.State.active.variables

[How to find variables and manipulate them for people who don't know how to]
  1. Type the object name 'SugarCube.State.active.variable' into the console and press enter.
  2. You should see one line, press the arrow on the side to see all of it.
    1. Find the variable you are looking for by expanding objects(contains multiple information inside). Example would be like a player object where coins, hp may be stored in.
    2. (just very simple hacks...)) You can also navigate by using the autocomplete feature as it shows all the possibilities from what you have typed. You can use the up and down arrow to highlight it and press enter to select it. Then if you suspect it's an object you can add a dot to see the information inside that object. You can repeat till you find the information you need.
  3. Once you find that variable then add an equal at the end with the number or name(in quotes) and press enter.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

[Other]

Last edited:

Rob Din

Jun 3, 2017
Sorry to be a dunce right now but I'm not finding how I would add this to my browser.
Currently using Chrome and everything I look up says to add the .cxr file to my extensions but I'm not getting this to work.

Thanks

Jobobby04

Sep 11, 2017
Sorry to be a dunce right now but I'm not finding how I would add this to my browser.
Currently using Chrome and everything I look up says to add the .cxr file to my extensions but I'm not getting this to work.

Thanks
You have to extract it to its own folder and then go to the extension page in chrome and press load unpacked extension and select the folder.

Last edited:

Jobobby04

Sep 11, 2017
You can also use this plug-in. Manually add it to your browser. Use CTRL+SHIFT+H while in-game to open it.
Btw this extension as it is won't work with downloaded html games, I got it to work by editing the manifest.json and adding (, "file:///") after ("tabs") and allowing it to access file urls in chrome.

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Btw this extension as it is won't work with downloaded html games, I got it to work by editing the manifest.json and adding (, "file:///") after ("tabs") and allowing it to access file urls in chrome.
What do you mean? It works with almost every single downloaded html game I have!

Here it is in The Company: twineHackerTheCompany.PNG

And Breeders Haven: twineHackerBreedersHaven.PNG

As you can see, it does work. In Google Chrome, that is. It could also depend on the browser that you use to play the games.

Last edited:

ShadowPersona

May 29, 2017
I have the same problem. TwineHacker doesn't open when I press ctr+shift+h. Nothing happens at all. I don't know what happened. When I last tried several weeks or months ago (I don't remember when exactly), it worked but it doesn't any longer for me. I even downloaded the version provided in this thread and nothing, even if I don't use it in incognito. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10, the latest update. The game I'm trying it on is Allure of Wanton Cove, the latest public build. Hope that helps in determining the problem.

Reactions: Botman9000

Peinro5

Aug 2, 2017
A great tool! Thanks, man.

in the extensions menu in the bottom there is an option to set keycombinations. i had to reset the combination for twinehacker after reinstalling the mod. this did the trick for me. the button might be called different for you, since my browser isn't in english
This fixed my issue. I think the tab is "Configure commands" in English, or something similar in your language. Just set it to Ctrl+Shift+H or something other you prefer. Hope this works for you.

Happy cheating!

ShadowPersona

May 29, 2017
in the extensions menu in the bottom there is an option to set keycombinations. i had to reset the combination for twinehacker after reinstalling the mod. this did the trick for me. the button might be called different for you, since my browser isn't in english
That worked. I couldn't find that in the beginning but I found it when I scrolled all the way down in the extension menu in Chrome and clicked on the Keyboard Shortcut link. Thanks.

Reactions: brainlightz