How to do Romhacks

Jun 11, 2023
So, first time trying to romhack.

I'm using Macrobledo, I'm using Pokemon Girls Hunter Version as the gba file, but.

I can't seem to find a patch file to put into the box, anything I'm missing, or am I just being braindead?

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
You need to apply the patch to a clean version of the ROM. I presume that Pokemon Girls Hunter is using the base as Fire Red? So, in that case, you need to apply the patch that the game came with to a copy of Pokemon Fire Red (I think 1636PokemonFireRedUSquirrels) if I recall correctly, is the one most commonly referred to for most Pokemon rom hacks that use Fire Red as the base.

Would also recommend using either Tsukuyomi UPS or LunarIPS (LIPS) to patch your rom hacks....

Jun 11, 2023
You need to apply the patch to a clean version of the ROM. I presume that Pokemon Girls Hunter is using the base as Fire Red? So, in that case, you need to apply the patch that the game came with to a copy of Pokemon Fire Red (I think 1636PokemonFireRedUSquirrels) if I recall correctly, is the one most commonly referred to for most Pokemon rom hacks that use Fire Red as the base.

Would also recommend using either Tsukuyomi UPS or LunarIPS (LIPS) to patch your rom hacks....

Yeah, i've figured out most of it. But it's in a gba file, not an ips, so I really can't do anything with it

Rock Licker

Dec 25, 2023
You mean actual rom hacking as in make a rom hack yourself or to play a rom hack? I believe you really meant actual rom hacking. In case you're not, I'll explain both for a bit:

I'm honesty delving myself into this as a bit due boredom, but I already can ensure you you're better off to start from scratch (or use a rom base with improved battle mechanics from later generations) that's based on the vanilla game instead of using someone else rom hack as a base. Then you have to pick your poison. Nowadays we have decomps based or binairy based rom hacks. Both kinda has a learning curve if you truly want to make something decent, but decomps based have a steeper learning curve apparantly.

For gen 3 it's pretty well documented, but then again, this is coming from someone that's also kinda in new into this besides how I discovered how to add mon's on each route for shit and giggles like 10 years ago, but then I tried looking up how to do other stuff and it all was mumbo jumbo to me. Nowadays it's a lot more newb friendly documented (at least for the binairy route imo.) I think and the tools have become a lot better for complete newbies like me. But theirs still a bit of a learning curve and you will have frustrations and be facing brick walls and what not. Slowly but sure I'm trying to learn something new everyday how to implement something. I'm not currently aiming to make a complete rom hack. It's just fucking around and finding out mostly. I don't want to start and release something unfinished with a great idea, but it gets abanoned like most rom hacks do. There's too much of those already sadly.

----

To play rom hacks it's just patch the ips / ups / xdelta / file with a clean rom where the rom hack is based on
(or you could just try and find the pre patched file on some sketchy site if you're lazy and feeling brave even though you have wasted more time then if you patch it yourself, so yeah.)

Then you need an emulator to actually play the file. mGBA is probably the best one.
Or one of these emulation devices or using a flash cart or whatever and voila.

Last edited: