How to erase a game and still keep my saves

BM1992

Mar 29, 2018
Hello, i would like to know if it is possible to keep my saves from some games after i delete the game itself. I only play Ren'pys games and most of the times they are still in development and i keep the whole game folder in my pc until the next patch comes, then make a save in that patch and erase the previous one, but i dont have that many space in my ssd in order to keep 10gb for each game im playing. Is there a way to keep my saves for the future when i download the next update of the game while deleting the game right when i finish it? Thank you!

Soulbro

Jan 14, 2022
Hi.
What I do is firstly I have a 3 tiered naming convention for the folders that store the renpy VNs (all VNs actually).
0 - [Devname] Game name [version] Date of last update
1 - [Devname] Game name [version] Date of last update
F - [Devname] Game name [version] Date of last update

The 0 folder is for the VN I am playing currently
The 1 folder is for a VN that I have downloaded but not started yet
The F folder is for a VN that I have finished and am waiting for an update.

The F folder simply contains browser bookmarks for where I can check to see if the VN has been updated, and it contains the "saves" folder from the "game" folder of the completed VN. This folder holds your save games.

So when I finish a 0 folder game, I cut the "saves" folder from the "game" folder and paste it into its 0 folder.
I then delete all of the game files (ie everything except the bookmarks and any saved screen shots).
Then I rename the 0 folder to an F folder, and wait for the next update.

This has never failed for me, unless the dev releases an update to the VN that changes the structure and won't handle old save games, then I have no choice but to start the game from the start.

I hope you find this useful.