• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM How to extract text for proofreading?

ffrickffrack

Jul 20, 2019
Hello. I hope this is the right place to post this (if not, sorry). I want to do some proofreading for a creator, but they expressed some concerns about extracting the text from their RPGM VX Ace game for proofreading, as well as getting the proofread text into the game. Is there a way to do this other than copying and pasting all of that text?
I managed to decrypt the game file so I have all of the data files, which from what I gather is necessary for translating a game, so I figured I would go ahead and do that in case it would be helpful for proofreading. I'm new to this and I've only proofread RenPy games so far. Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Reactions: seyfer110

seyfer110

Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
If you want to extract the text from a VX Ace game, you can try and use the script attached;
The game's dev will have to put it in game, launch the game, and it will create 3 txt files ( I think?) into your data folder,
- Data/_EventContents.txt
Contains ALL event commands
# - useful for perusing, searching for anything in any event
# - this also includes everything in the following two files

- Data/_EventDialogue.txt
A subset of _EventContents.txt
# Contains any event commands to do with text - Show Text, Show Choices,
# actor names, etc
# - useful for proofreading and translation (there is no facility to replace
# text with translations - this is JUST an extract)

- Data/_EventSwitchesVariables.txt

A subset of _EventContents.txt
# Contains any event commands and conditions to do with switches and variables
# - useful for finding where they've been used

But in my opinion, reading a bunch of text line without context won't be the best option...