how to fix when there's no Poke Through in preview image but in Iray or renders there is

13a

Jul 22, 2018
Hi again, I'm trying to create a VN, but there's always a new problem working in daz, now I have a problem with a weird kind of poke-through, the preview image shows no poke through but when I renderize o apply Iray there is poke through. And the weird thing is when I delete the enviroment/building the poke through disappears. How can i fix this? Thanks.
Image 1.png Image 2.jpg Image 3.jpg

Last edited:

Saint_RNG

Game Developer
Apr 2, 2018
It's confusing. What's happening in your second screenshot isn't poke through but the pixels of light projected by your environment (Light and its refraction indoors are more complex than in the outdoor environment of the 3rd screenshot).
If you give Iray a bit of time or activate the Denoiser, they should disappear (normally).

Or are you talking about something else ? I don't see anything resembling poke through in any of your 3 screenshots.

Reactions: 13a

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Honestly, I can't really tell from that poor second render what poke through there is. But I am familiar with that Time for School outfit and there's a few things you can do to make it behave better.

Since the shirt, skirt, blazer and tie are all Dforce, you need to be constantly planning and thinking poses. I usually hide the tie and blazer and then simulate the shirt.... and adjust the skirt waist to fit it. Then I turn those objects into static objects and then simulate the blazer over top. If you leave everything as Dynamic, they tend to settle into each other. Instead, you need to turn off the Dforce on each layer after you finish it.

There's also an issue with the shirt sleeves that they poke through often. They even added a MAT option to hide the sleeves while leaving the cuffs visible to deal with this issue. I was just using Cutout Opacity to hide them before I saw the option in the menu, lol.

But basically those are the two main issues... turn on and off the Dforce settings as you simulate each layer and hide the sleeves when using the blazer. I also found the tie was pretty bad at Dforce, so I usually just manually moved it with Meshgrabber instead.

Finally, don't trust the Iray preview. It can show you a lot, but often misses some small things like poke-throughs and artifacts on the skin. Always best to run a quick 1 or 2 minute test render before committing your scene to a Queue.

Reactions: osanaiko

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Finally, don't trust the Iray preview. It can show you a lot, but often misses some small things like poke-throughs and artifacts on the skin. Always best to run a quick 1 or 2 minute test render before committing your scene to a Queue.
Really? I've been working with Daz for some time now, and have never had Iray Preview show me something that wasn't ever in the actual render itself.

Or are you talking about something else ? I don't see anything resembling poke through in any of your 3 screenshots.
I don't really see it, either. Except for maybe the hair going through the school badge/emblem. That's about all I see, though.

Saint_RNG

Game Developer
Apr 2, 2018
Really? I've been working with Daz for some time now, and have never had Iray Preview show me something that wasn't ever in the actual render itself.
This generally happens when the View SubD Level is different from the Render SubD Level (Minimum).
I've had this happen with a fishnet top, for example. The Resolution Level was set to High Resolution but the View SubD Level was set to 0 by default (= Resolution Level set to Base) and the Render SubD Level (Minimum) was set to 3.
The image in the Viewport was ok in Texture Shaded and NVIDIA Iray mode but in the render there was some poke through at the shoulders.

I don't really see it, either. Except for maybe the hair going through the school badge/emblem. That's about all I see, though.
I thought so too, but he wouldn't have pointed it out because it's also the case in Texture Shaded mode (1st image).
The only thing I can deduce from this is that he interprets the little pixels of his yellow light on the shirt and jacket as his character's skin poking through...

Reactions: Jumbi

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
I've had it happen mainly with some skin artifacts, like the squiggles you can get from the off-zero-point bug, or issues with a hair cap or a geoshell. It's probably like Saint_RNG said... I keep my viewport SubD at 1 and this render was a close up, using SubD 4.

In fact, just yesterday, I previewed a few renders of a model that looked fine, but when I rendered them, I saw a faint edge of a pubic hair geoshell holder on one of the models... that wasn't visible in the Iray preview. That geoshell is usually kept hidden, but because I frequently hide models to speed up my viewport, when I CTRL-clicked the eyeball to show the model, it of course made everything visible again. (I always forget that! lol)

• Wow
Reactions: 13a

13a

Jul 22, 2018
wow thanks guys for the help, I didn't realize it was the light reflection, I know I need to improve my daz skills haha.