How to get Started Making Games?

chal12345

Apr 23, 2020
How exactly hard is it to make a game? I'm a complete amateur when it comes to any of this but I think it would be a lot of fun giving it a try.

Most games I've seen are made with RPG Maker but the gameplay is almost always lackluster and I've also seen Novelty for simple VNs, I own RPG Maker and Novelty is free so I could use either of them.
If there's another program that would be easy to use for an amateur let me know.
I'm no artist either, but that seems to avoidable with how many games use Illusion games such as Koikatsu and Honey Select. I was thinking of trying to use COM3D2 characters instead since I think they look a lot better personally.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Angry
Reactions: Losersriot

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Search what is a Game Design Document, learn what it is for, look for a few templates, then turn your idea into a proper overview of your whole project. This is always the first step.
Since it is your first game, it should be something smol and simple.

Once you have that covered, pick the engine that best fits your project and start making things... Tutorials exist for both engines, so that's something you can look on your own.

Reactions: Keðja

chal12345

Apr 23, 2020
Search what is a Game Design Document, learn what it is for, look for a few templates, then turn your idea into a proper overview of your whole project. This is always the first step.
Since it is your first game, it should be something smol and simple.

Once you have that covered, pick the engine that best fits your project and start making things... Tutorials exist for both engines, so that's something you can look on your own.
I hadn't heard of a Game Design Document since now, that shows how little i know lol. Thank you for the response, I'll definitely study up and try and make one for myself.

Reactions: Winterfire

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
As Winterfire mentioned, the first step is to make a plan. You can use a Game Design Document, but I only do that when I want to create a game with gameplay elements. Since my game is a visual novel, I started out writing the global outline of the story.

Then I spent some time thinking about the characters. What is their part in the story? What is their personality and what do they look like?

When I was done with a rough first version, I wrote the outline for the chapters. And then...Start writing. Refine as needed. One other tip I can give you is to study elements of games you like. Why do you like them? How did they implement gameplay elements?

Good luck. Let me know if you need any help.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
As Winterfire mentioned, the first step is to make a plan. You can use a Game Design Document, but I only do that when I want to create a game with gameplay elements. Since my game is a visual novel, I started out writing the global outline of the story.

Then I spent some time thinking about the characters. What is their part in the story? What is their personality and what do they look like?

When I was done with a rough first version, I wrote the outline for the chapters. And then...Start writing. Refine as needed. One other tip I can give you is to study elements of games you like. Why do you like them? How did they implement gameplay elements?

Good luck. Let me know if you need any help.
That's also a Game Design Document. It can even be an one page.
There's no "right" way of making one, but it needs to fulfill its main purpose which is to give you a full overview of your project.
Even when it comes to a Visual Novel, if you can't predict how long your project will take from it, then it's still incomplete.

Branching choices, Character Sheets, etc. are still gameplay elements.

UncleAi

Apr 24, 2022
I suggest the first step is decide what functions do you need for your game. Is it a simple VN or sandbox or turn based fighting or what ?

Ren'py is overall good. If your game is a simple VN I can't see a reason not using it. But if your game needs heavily GUI customization or complex variables, you need to learn a lot. RPGM's problem is it is notorious now. Too many low quality games using RPGM.

Using Illusion games is easy. But you need to give player an answer: "Why I need to spend 30min in your game for a sex instead of play Honey Select myself? I can fuck any girl in any position any pose any time."

I just began playing DAZ. The most difficult part is placing items and posing characters. Creating a beautiful character is not a problem.

Today is my fifth day using DAZ. You can use the render I just made as a reference. 1670315526025.png

chal12345

Apr 23, 2020
I suggest the first step is decide what functions do you need for your game. Is it a simple VN or sandbox or turn based fighting or what ?

Ren'py is overall good. If your game is a simple VN I can't see a reason not using it. But if your game needs heavily GUI customization or complex variables, you need to learn a lot. RPGM's problem is it is notorious now. Too many low quality games using RPGM.
would you recommend Ren'py over novelty for a visual novel?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
would you recommend Ren'py over novelty for a visual novel?
The dev needs to be the one choosing the Game Engine to use. People can't choose for you, try both and use whatever you are most comfortable with.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Ren'py is overall good. If your game is a simple VN I can't see a reason not using it. But if your game needs heavily GUI customization or complex variables, you need to learn a lot.
While this can be true, I'd recommend anyone new to VNs looking to adjust their UI in Ren'py to download a game they like the look of and break it open. Don't copy and paste it, because you'd essentially be fucking yourself over by doing it. If something with it breaks, you'd have no idea how to fix it.

So, if you're curious how they do something, you can look at it yourself and study the code. Change the x and y position values and see what happens. Know what the code does, know how it works, and then make it your own. Seeing how it works in action with another project can do wonder on helping someone apply and learn it themselves.

Using Illusion games is easy. But you need to give player an answer: "Why I need to spend 30min in your game for a sex instead of play Honey Select myself? I can fuck any girl in any position any pose any time."
The story usually has to be that answer. Graphics aren't great, but it's an effective medium for those with lower-end systems. Which is why it's used. There's a lot of people who don't have a 20 or 30 series card to run Daz efficiently/effectively.

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
All I can say is that RenPy is an amazing tool for a visual novel. It's not difficult to make a branching game if you have written the story already. You can easily integrate variables to keep track of choices and other stats that might influence the story.

And this is coming from someone who's not great with technology.

Reactions: Cryswar

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021
Jumping straight into game development doesn't sound like a great idea if you ask me.

If you're planning to create a VN, first thing you want is a solid rig. One that is able to create good quality renders within a reasonable amount of time. Then you probably wanna spend a bunch of time learning how to create those renders using tools like DAZ3D for statics, Blender for animations, Photoshop for the final touch...among other tools.

That alone can take ages unless you're happy with mediocre results at best. There's obviously several factors which can make your life easier or harder depending on the tools/engine you wanna use, but a complete beginner without any basic knowledge in this field or talent for art isn't gonna come up with high quality renders within a week or two. There's certainly alot of work ahead of you.

Pretty much the same applies to the coding/programming, though I'd say that's probably the "easier" part depending on the complexity of your game. Still, that also requires time to learn unless you have a background being a programmer or w/e.

Then there's the story, writing etc. To me as a player the most important part of a game. One can certainly learn it to an extend, but I'd say this part is where talent and creativity plays a major role, and some developers do fail to deliver engaging stories with solid writing, and I can't get myself to play games with poorly written stories. Especially the ones with terrible English translations or absolute terrible grammar, syntax, terminology...you get my point. But that might just be me. :p

Anyway, that's just my uneducated opinion on the matter. Best of luck to you!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Jumping straight into game development doesn't sound like a great idea if you ask me.

If you're planning to create a VN, first thing you want is a solid rig. One that is able to create good quality renders within a reasonable amount of time. Then you probably wanna spend a bunch of time learning how to create those renders using tools like DAZ3D for statics, Blender for animations, Photoshop for the final touch...among other tools.

That alone can take ages unless you're happy with mediocre results at best. There's obviously several factors which can make your life easier or harder depending on the tools/engine you wanna use, but a complete beginner without any basic knowledge in this field or talent for art isn't gonna come up with high quality renders within a week or two. There's certainly alot of work ahead of you.

Pretty much the same applies to the coding/programming, though I'd say that's probably the "easier" part depending on the complexity of your game. Still, that also requires time to learn unless you have a background being a programmer or w/e.

Then there's the story, writing etc. To me as a player the most important part of a game. One can certainly learn it to an extend, but I'd say this part is where talent and creativity plays a major role, and some developers do fail to deliver engaging stories with solid writing, and I can't get myself to play games with poorly written stories. Especially the ones with terrible English translations or absolute terrible grammar, syntax, terminology...you get my point. But that might just be me. :p

Anyway, that's just my uneducated opinion on the matter. Best of luck to you!
It is pretty uncommon to start with a solid rig, and useless since by the time you can actually use it properly, it will be mid tier at best (considering how quick technology progresses). Skills are far more important.

Reactions: F4C430

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021
It is pretty uncommon to start with a solid rig, and useless since by the time you can actually use it properly, it will be mid tier at best (considering how quick technology progresses). Skills are far more important.
When I say solid rig, I don't mean a 4090. ;)

More like good enough so that it doesn't take your computer 20+ hours to render a single image in decent quality. That would be counterproductive if you're trying to get better with certain tools, and especially once you start developing your own game. You likely know that, being a developer yourself. But OP said he's a complete newbie, and many people totally underestimate render times using tools like DAZ3D. I should have probably be more clear with what I meant. :)

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
When I say solid rig, I don't mean a 4090. ;)

More like good enough so that it doesn't take your computer 20+ hours to render a single image in decent quality. That would be counterproductive if you're trying to get better with certain tools, and especially once you start developing your own game. You likely know that, being a developer yourself. But OP said he's a complete newbie, and many people totally underestimate render times using tools like DAZ3D. I should have probably be more clear with what I meant. :)
Not all devs use DAZ3D, OP specifically said: "I'm no artist either, but that seems to avoidable with how many games use Illusion games such as Koikatsu and Honey Select. I was thinking of trying to use COM3D2 characters instead since I think they look a lot better personally."

Reactions: F4C430

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021
Not all devs use DAZ3D, OP specifically said: "I'm no artist either, but that seems to avoidable with how many games use Illusion games such as Koikatsu and Honey Select. I was thinking of trying to use COM3D2 characters instead since I think they look a lot better personally."
Never said all devs use DAZ, did I? I've been talking about high quality renders and some tools many developers would use to achieve high quality results. OP also asked if there's other tools for beginners, and so I gave my opinion on tools like DAZ, Blender, and Photoshop. Certainly not the most beginner friendly tools as the "skillcap" is much higher.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Never said all devs use DAZ, did I? I've been talking about high quality renders and some tools many developers would use to achieve high quality results. OP also asked if there's other tools for beginners, and so I gave my opinion on tools like DAZ, Blender, and Photoshop. Certainly not the most beginner friendly tools as the skillcap is much higher.
It's not that big of a deal, I have started with a 610m and other devs had similar experiences.
Aside from rendering (with DAZ specifically) the rest is doable.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
(This assumes you end up going down the visual novel route)

Just start. You don't learn by planning (I don't at least), and while watching tutorials on what you're using is helpful, watching them alongside what you're making makes it a lot easier to apply what you're being taught to your own situation. Sure, watch a few tutorials just to get you started, but no need to master a software just to take the first step.

Don't even think about releases, or what people want or any of that stuff right now, just start making the thing you're thinking of making. Maybe you'll develop the game to a point where you're like "Oh shit, I need photoshop now", so then you can get photoshop, and look up a tutorial for whatever you're trying to do at that time. Do this enough times, and you end up with a good understanding of a software, because you were able to apply each lesson to what you're trying to do, rather than just watching a video on how to do something that isn't relevant, and then trying to recall it later on.

I see a lot of threads about "I'm planning to make a game" but way less "I'm actually making a game" threads. I think it's because people get too caught up in the planning, and never actually get to the making part. Just start.

Of course, all of this assumes you've already come up with stuff like the general story, characters, setting etc.

My source is me. Because this is exactly what I did. Maybe not the best approach, I'm just saying it's doable. I had an idea for a thing I wanted to make, but technically I knew nothing until probably a couple hours before I started making the first scene in my game. (Which admittedly I do need to replace at some point because the early renders are jank. Never would have started at all though if I had to master all kinds of shit before starting.)

Don't get hung up on stuff that doesn't matter right away, like what font your main menu is gonna use. No need to release it unless you want to, so focus on making it a game first. You can decide the minor stuff later.

Good luck.

chal12345

Apr 23, 2020
Why do you want to be a game developer. Is it for the money? If money is the reason then don't even bother. Just get a real job.
no? i have a job. just thought it would've been interesting or fun to do

(This assumes you end up going down the visual novel route)

Just start. You don't learn by planning (I don't at least), and while watching tutorials on what you're using is helpful, watching them alongside what you're making makes it a lot easier to apply what you're being taught to your own situation. Sure, watch a few tutorials just to get you started, but no need to master a software just to take the first step.

Don't even think about releases, or what people want or any of that stuff right now, just start making the thing you're thinking of making. Maybe you'll develop the game to a point where you're like "Oh shit, I need photoshop now", so then you can get photoshop, and look up a tutorial for whatever you're trying to do at that time. Do this enough times, and you end up with a good understanding of a software, because you were able to apply each lesson to what you're trying to do, rather than just watching a video on how to do something that isn't relevant, and then trying to recall it later on.

I see a lot of threads about "I'm planning to make a game" but way less "I'm actually making a game" threads. I think it's because people get too caught up in the planning, and never actually get to the making part. Just start.

Of course, all of this assumes you've already come up with stuff like the general story, characters, setting etc.

My source is me. Because this is exactly what I did. Maybe not the best approach, I'm just saying it's doable. I had an idea for a thing I wanted to make, but technically I knew nothing until probably a couple hours before I started making the first scene in my game. (Which admittedly I do need to replace at some point because the early renders are jank. Never would have started at all though if I had to master all kinds of shit before starting.)

Don't get hung up on stuff that doesn't matter right away, like what font your main menu is gonna use. No need to release it unless you want to, so focus on making it a game first. You can decide the minor stuff later.

Good luck.
Thanks for this, looking at all the planning things and programs i would have to use were a little overwhelming.
I'll probably go with a VN but i think i have alot of writing to do before ill be able to actually start making something