Daz How to ignore body parts for clothing collisions?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
If I increase a collision slider on clothings it may happen that, for example, a T-shirt wraps around the character's hand if it is too close to the chest. Is it possible to set certain parts of the body, for example hands, to be ignored when modeling collisions?

Wumei

Dec 25, 2019
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can define a different collision on parts of the same object.

On the other hand, you can consider duplicating your character, moving your character's hand and hiding it, then hiding everything except the hand on the clone which will not normally have collision with clothes on the first char.

Obviously if it is another part of the body it can be a little more complex.

I never had to do this so I don't know if it will work properly, but that's all I can think of.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
If I increase a collision slider on clothings it may happen that, for example, a T-shirt wraps around the character's hand if it is too close to the chest. Is it possible to set certain parts of the body, for example hands, to be ignored when modeling collisions?
I don't think it's possible outside duplicating like Wumei said
When that happens I just set the collision to 'None' and use/import morph (you can help with mesh grabber too) to correct the cloth. Works well with pantyhose and the like.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can define a different collision on parts of the same object.

On the other hand, you can consider duplicating your character, moving your character's hand and hiding it, then hiding everything except the hand on the clone which will not normally have collision with clothes on the first char.

Obviously if it is another part of the body it can be a little more complex.

I never had to do this so I don't know if it will work properly, but that's all I can think of.
This sounds like something worth trying. There is a possible to set up a collision of clothes with only one part of the body and ignore the rest, but probably there is no way to choose which parts to ignore and not when I need more than one part of the body.

I don't understand why Daz doesn't have some simple function for multiple collisions.
D-Force is not a solution in some situations.

Last edited:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
This sounds like something worth trying. There is a possible to set up a collision of clothes with only one part of the body and ignore the rest, but probably there is no way to choose which parts to ignore and not when I need more than one part of the body.

I don't understand why Daz doesn't have some simple function for multiple collisions.
D-Force is not a solution in some situations.
A couple of simple methods to use "collition" or "smoother" modifier without problems.

1) Disable "smoothing". Probably the dress causes poker with body parts; match the dress with its morphs to avoid that, or apply Fit Control if it doesn't have enough parameters to get the result you want. You don't have to correct the poker at 100%, just adjust it a bit, and then apply the smoothing again. This way you don't force the smoother so much and it will be better (besides, this is very practical in animations, where the smoother is calculated in each frame and if it's too forced, it will be too different in each frame and the animation will look bad).

2) Use Mesh Grabber ( )

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Is there a way to "freeze" the shape of a piece of clothing to preserve the results of collisions, but to avoid new collisions?
I thought something like, when pants do unwanted collisions with hands, I would put hands in another position, I would adjust colision with rest of the figure, "freeze" the pants and then put hands back in the original position.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Is there a way to "freeze" the shape of a piece of clothing to preserve the results of collisions, but to avoid new collisions?
I thought something like, when pants do unwanted collisions with hands, I would put hands in another position, I would adjust colision with rest of the figure, "freeze" the pants and then put hands back in the original position.
You can "bake smoothed [something]" when you select the clothing and go to edit -> object/figure -> geometry. Never tried it tho, so use at your own risk^^

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
You can "bake smoothed [something]" when you select the clothing and go to edit -> object/figure -> geometry. Never tried it tho, so use at your own risk^^
I tried something like that, I think, and the result was a total deformation of that piece of clothing
I did not find any other way to "freeze" the clothes including the result of the smoothing.
The only way that works for me so far against unwanted collisions with some part of body is to duplicate the figure, make it invisible, and set up collisions of clothes with the invisible duplicate figure, where I adjust the problematic parts.
But this is not optimal in terms of memory.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I tried something like that, I think, and the result was a total deformation of that piece of clothing
I did not find any other way to "freeze" the clothes including the result of the smoothing.
The only way that works for me so far against unwanted collisions with some part of body is to duplicate the figure, make it invisible, and set up collisions of clothes with the invisible duplicate figure, where I adjust the problematic parts.
But this is not optimal in terms of memory.
what I did a few times while using dforce: after simulating hide the character and everything else except the clothing, export as object and import via morph loader pro, that way you have the shape of the dforce'd clothes without using dforce. Maybe that also works with smoothing.

Reactions: lawfullame

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
what I did a few times while using dforce: after simulating hide the character and everything else except the clothing, export as object and import via morph loader pro, that way you have the shape of the dforce'd clothes without using dforce. Maybe that also works with smoothing.
Thanks, that sounds like something worth trying. But I think D-force and smoothing work completely differently.
For example, when I apply dforce to a blanket, the blanket retains the simulation results, even if it is moved elsewhere after the simulation. In the case of smoothing, it works so that any modification initiates the entire collision and smoothing process again.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Thanks, that sounds like something worth trying. But I think D-force and smoothing work completely differently.
For example, when I apply dforce to a blanket, the blanket retains the simulation results, even if it is moved elsewhere after the simulation. In the case of smoothing, it works so that any modification initiates the entire collision and smoothing process again.
I recently added a character morph to a geograft by unparenting (not unfitting) the geograft and hiding the character and then exporting the geograft using the steps I mentioned above.

Reactions: lawfullame

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
So, after gaining a little more experience, duplicating a character is what works best for me for this purpose. Of course, it would be possible to use a mesh grabber, but duplicating the character seems easier in many situations.

I use collisions with an invisible clone that has those parts of the body where collisions are desired in the same place as the original character. And I adjust parts of the clone's body that cause unwanted collisions.

hansolocambo

Jun 21, 2020
Shadow Fiend
"apply dforce dynamic modifier & dforce weight node to your prop add map & paint weight to surface, blue for less influence grey for no influence."
Grey means no influence of the Surface Properties onto those particular vertices. But this does NOT mean that those vertices are not part of the simulation. Vertices of a soft body with a Weight Value of 0% act as rigid (non static) objects. If it's a solution to prevent hair from falling (for example), it's not a solution for the problem explained by the OP here ;)

----------------------------

Each body part in DAZ has its own Surface. But you can create as many new Surfaces as you want, to get eyes of two different colors, or to load 5 different colors, one for each nail, etc.... or to define specific dForce Surface properties.

If you want hands for example to NOT be taken into account by a dForce simulation. Main issue : hands are part of the arms Surface. So what you need is to separate the hands :

- Geometry Editor Tool (Alt+Shift+G)
- Select the hands only (Select nails by surface, then grow selection, or manual Polygon Selection / Lasso, etc. whatever you like)
- Then Right Click in the Viewport : Geometry Assignment > Create Surface From Selected (Let's name it Hands)
- Now that you have a Genesis 8 with one more Surface (Material ID) than usual, you can define specific dForce properties for those hands. Like "Visible in Simulation : Off"

Bam ! No more collision issues with hands. Their geometry's there, but not taken into account by dForce computations anymore.

Last edited: