Ren'Py How to implement a story arc in ren'py.

bigmanjow

Oct 13, 2018
Hello, I would like to know how I can implement a story arc in ren'py.
Example: Halloween special or episode gallery

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Er...

You'll probably need to be a bit more explicit in your question and its context, because right now it looks like "how do I drive a car to [some town name]" ; do you know how to drive, from where are you starting your journey, do the car have specificity that make it unable to take some roads, there's so many factors that would radically change the answer.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Yeah, more context is needed. I kind of had this tab open for 2 hours unsure of how to answer (and got distracted :p)

do you have an existing game, and want to add a seprate story ark?
why are you calling it a story ark? using the example of an episode gallery sounds like a completely different mechanism.
is your game in chapters or something, but you want the player to be able to select chapters?

as for story ark, are you having a particular problem?
other than creating a label and organizing your script files to manage all the writing you may have to do the only technical challenge i could see is if you want the player to progress through a certain storyline but only progressing a bit at a time while they still play the main story line, going back and forth between normal and a 'Halloween special' mode or something.

bigmanjow

Oct 13, 2018
Sorry for the poor wording of the question. I would like to make a special one. And within that special would be a totally different story than the main story. I am attaching a picture of how I would like to do it. Special.jpg

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Sorry for the poor wording of the question. I would like to make a special one. And within that special would be a totally different story than the main story. I am attaching a picture of how I would like to do it.
That's not a story arc. What you mean is, you want a side story.

Go into "screens.rpy" and find this section of the code:

Code:
screen navigation():

vbox:
        style_prefix "navigation"

xpos gui.navigation_xpos
        yalign 0.5

spacing gui.navigation_spacing

if main_menu:

textbutton _("Start") action Start()

else:

textbutton _("History") action ShowMenu("history")

textbutton _("Save") action ShowMenu("save")

textbutton _("Load") action ShowMenu("load")
Add textbutton _("Side Story") action Start("side_story_label") into the if main_menu: block. Then begin your side story at whatever label name you put inside the Start() action.