Daz How to import genesis 8.1 to blender to create body morphs?

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
I did the old fashioned way of selecting only the g8.1 female without lashes, eyebrows and all and set to base res with subd 0 and exported as obj with scale set to 1.

And after sculpting in blender(mainly using, draw, smooth tools) i exported the morph with scale set to 100(selected object only) and in daz, i used morph loader pro. But it says geometry not matching. Any solutions pls?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
One thing I do to make sure it always works is, I have an obj export of the base figure. One that I have tested works again for importing (to verify vertex order, because i found it just impossible to fix incorrectly imported sculpts). So when ever I'm working on figures, I import this base mesh and everything gets merged into that base mesh as a shape key. I usually import other character bases that I'm trying to sculpt or clean up, and merging them into this 'known good' mesh lets me double check that I've imported correctly (vertex order, vertex count) before I've gone too far. Interestingly enough, I find even if I export the object with lashes and clothing, so long as I remove the objects from the mesh in blender, the vertex order is still good. If the options look different in the latest version of blender, then it sounds like it may not have imported correctly to begin with if you are not able to verify vertex and poly count. I always end up finding it easier just to have to sculpt a figure rather than trying to recover the original sculpt, not even shrink wrapping one mesh to another seems to work well enough.

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
One thing I do to make sure it always works is, I have an obj export of the base figure. One that I have tested works again for importing (to verify vertex order, because i found it just impossible to fix incorrectly imported sculpts). So when ever I'm working on figures, I import this base mesh and everything gets merged into that base mesh as a shape key. I usually import other character bases that I'm trying to sculpt or clean up, and merging them into this 'known good' mesh lets me double check that I've imported correctly (vertex order, vertex count) before I've gone too far. Interestingly enough, I find even if I export the object with lashes and clothing, so long as I remove the objects from the mesh in blender, the vertex order is still good. If the options look different in the latest version of blender, then it sounds like it may not have imported correctly to begin with if you are not able to verify vertex and poly count. I always end up finding it easier just to have to sculpt a figure rather than trying to recover the original sculpt, not even shrink wrapping one mesh to another seems to work well enough.
i used diffeomorphic to try and import the figure. but after sculpting and exporting the morph, it says geometry doesn't match.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I've never used diffeomorphic for sculpting, just for pose transferring. I try to stick to more common (more universal) formats such as OBJ and FBX since diffeomorphic is black magic to me, so I don't know what issues there are with trying to use diffeomorphic and import settings. I got things working through trial and error using the OBJ technique, so I can't offer much insight on a fix.

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
I've never used diffeomorphic for sculpting, just for pose transferring. I try to stick to more common (more universal) formats such as OBJ and FBX since diffeomorphic is black magic to me, so I don't know what issues there are with trying to use diffeomorphic and import settings. I got things working through trial and error using the OBJ technique, so I can't offer much insight on a fix.
Can you list the steps briefly to export and import back a 8.1 figure?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
DAZ EXPORT
  1. Remove/delete all other characters and any scene objects.
  2. remove/delete all clothing and accessories, invisibility will NOT be ignored, items must be deleted.
  3. remove all hair, INCLUDING EYELASHES!
  4. In the character parameters, locate mesh resolution. Set resolution to BASE.
  5. Export to OBJ, I set scale to 1% (0.01) to match daz to blender unit conversion (Daz uses centimeters, ie 100x blenders meter based system)
Do this for the daz base figure.
Do this for any figure that has morphs applied.

BLENDER IMPORT

for blender, make sure to turn on "Keep Vert Order"
1692393704058.png
  1. Import Daz base figure, making sure to use the right import settings.
  2. Import other characters or sculpts (usually blender will remember your most recent import setting)
  3. SANITY CHECK! After importing all the characters, control click each character, clicking the base figure last, use "Join as Shapes"
    1692393867674.png
  4. You can now use shape keys to ease between different morphs/characters/sculpts. If there is any issues, there will etiher me a warning about vertex count mismatch, or the mesh will destroy itself when you try to turn on a shape key (set to 100% active). If there are no issues, then export & import was successful.
  5. continue to add shape keys and mixes as you sculpt, knowing that 100% of your work is compatible with the daz figure.
BLENDER EXPORT
  1. avoid using any modifiers when possible. While blender will export according to the shape keys you have (say you have a sculpt at 50%, it will be exported at 50% as expected), I prefer to duplicate the object, shave all the shapes into one shape key, delete all other shape keys (in the duplicated copy) and morphs, so that I have a clean version of the mesh to export and keep track of as I iterate on sculpts.
  2. select object to export
  3. 1692394211184.png Ensure selection only, export as objects, scale back to 100x to match daz's units (I should remove the tick for apply modifiers, I also never needed to worry abotu turning on the keep vertex order since the mesh is clean, un modified, and what else is blender going to do, randomize this shit? Nah, the above is my default daz export settings).

DAZ IMPORT
  1. open up new clean file
  2. load up the base figure
  3. select the base figure
  4. edit>object>morph loader pro
  5. select the obj with all default options (you may edit the name, folder location, weight maps, etc.)
  6. Should import without issue, else daz will give you a warning 1692395049687.png
  7. go into the parameters tab and locate the morph you imported, set to 100% 1692395149239.png
  8. edit parameters and limit its range from 0 to 100% 1692395192613.png
  9. DO NOT EDIT ANYTHING ELSE! don't adjust sliders or morphs or add clothes
  10. with teh morph at 100% go to edit>figure>rigging>adjust to shape (you may want to turn on the joint editing tool so you can see that the bones do change to match your new morph/figure) 1692395541579.png
  11. in the parameters tab, right click and turn on "Edit Mode"
  12. Right click on your morph and go to "ERC Freeze..." 1692395574166.png
  13. A window will pop up, scroll down to the bottom. The only thing on the list should be the bones for your rig. if you edited anything, they will show up on this list, uncheck them to make sure they do not get saved with the morph. hit accept (in this example image, I turned of a morph, and then in the erc window, I turned it off so that it does not get saved with the morph) 1692395697687.png
DAZ SAVE MORPH
note, I don't know how to actually put it in the normal morph area, like body, head, characters, etc... not that I want to, I keep all my morphs seprate and organized using a different system. But go to file>save as>support assets>morph asset 1692395858599.png
and then navigate the tree like you would your parameters tab (ie if the morph is in the morph_loader section, you have to go to morph loader to find where the morph is), click the check box next to it, and hit save
1692395964670.png