Daz How to install dpc and tx files into Daz Studio?

Epicguy19

Jul 23, 2021
There's this hair I wanted to use for Daz, but when I went to install it, it was just a tx and dpc file. What do I do with these, and how can I properly install them to be used within Daz?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I believe those are either Maya or 3DSMax files. My best, and entirely uneducated, guess is that tx is likely a texture file and dpc is some sort of data file. Neither of which Daz takes, if I'm not mistaken. You'd have to open the native software and likely export as something like an OBJ file.

Stuff like clothes and hair that aren't specifically made for Daz, I'd recommend against using. As stuff like clothes or hair are often rigged and made specifically for Genesis figures. I'd imagine it's a fair bit of work, especially for someone who isn't experienced in it.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I believe those are either Maya or 3DSMax files. My best, and entirely uneducated, guess is that tx is likely a texture file and dpc is some sort of data file. Neither of which Daz takes, if I'm not mistaken. You'd have to open the native software and likely export as something like an OBJ file.
I doubt that they are Maya or 3DSmax files. If i'm not mistakes maya files end with .Ma or .Mb, and 3DSMax with .max.

From just googling a bit the only thing I could find about DPC files in relatation to 3D models is that the game Plague Tale Innocence has their models/textures/etc. stored in DPC files. No idea how you actually open them or what its used for. Might be created from some inhouse development system.

Where did you found the hair model, that might make it easier to see if it can be converted to something usable.

Anyway what MissFortune said for the rest still stands. Unless its a solid motionless object (like a background piece or something) I wouldn't bother trying to import cloths and hair into DAZ. It requires a lot of work and knowledge to get it work properly.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I doubt that they are Maya or 3DSmax files. If i'm not mistakes maya files end with .Ma or .Mb, and 3DSMax with .max.

From just googling a bit the only thing I could find about DPC files in relatation to 3D models is that the game Plague Tale Innocence has their models/textures/etc. stored in DPC files. No idea how you actually open them or what its used for. Might be created from some inhouse development system.
Looks like it might be "Daz Poser Content" after a bit of searching. . Looks like maybe Victoria 4-era stuff, maybe earlier? I'd also wonder if OP meant "trx" instead of "tx".

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Looks like it might be "Daz Poser Content" after a bit of searching. . Looks like maybe Victoria 4-era stuff, maybe earlier? I'd also wonder if OP meant "trx" instead of "tx".
But that _dpc_ is an (outdated) internal Daz classification, not an extension. Likewise, _tx was how texture packs were identified. Yes, we're speaking of pre -V4 era (up to very early V4), prior of the current DAZ numbering system.
The extension of such a file would be .exe and it would be an installer for DAZ Studio 3 (perfectly workable in Daz 4 if you tell it your correct installation folder - tested).
Theoretically they should install correctly... making them work correctly with a modern figure would probably be more trouble than gain. Not to mention making them look good (altough I saw IDG Selectable Hair Color Shader work miracles).

In both my Daz3d and Poser 11 folders there isn't a single .dpc file.