How to make houses?

Redline3140

Dec 1, 2019
Trying to figure out how dev's are making houses for the VN.

Are you getting pre built assets and editing them ?
or Buying a bunch of different assest's like bathroom, kitchen, bedroom etc and making it look like its one house...
or making them from the ground up?

Whats the efficient way to go at this or the official tried and true method if any?
If there is any tutorials or videos covering the topping much
or how to make a house would be great!

ALSO please and thank you in advance

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Some do one and some do the other and some do both. You can get full houses, empty houses, apartments, or individual rooms. The beauty of digital art is the end-user only sees what you show them.

8InchFloppyDick

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2020
Perhaps it's a pragmatic thing...

If you're creating a VN with a theme that fits the (many) models out there then great, use the pre-fab (pun intended) models. If your VN has a theme that isn't covered by the many pre-fab models or if you're particularly OCD about the look and feel of your VN, then I guess you'll be building or kitbashing your own.

Or maybe you just dont have the chops to do actual 3D modelling... I would imagine you'd be looking to use pre-fabs too.

Or maybe you're just not interested in doing the 3D-modelling part, you're just interesting in rehashing a story and getting your patreon account up and collecting monies. Why bother going anywhere near a time-consuming thing like actual 3D modelling when you can use pre-fab models?

Downside of pre-fabs course is that most urban scenes will look like they are in Amorica and that like almost every other urban VN your outside scenes will be set in 'Haven Park', 'The Park Way' or 'The Forgotten Park'.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
I build my own. And its too expensive (in terms of time) and I had to build my own, because all available assets I found uses real measurements which does not fit in 3d games.

go check GTA V and closer look doors, then you will understand what I mean.

however if you after 3d cgi and or renpy game. Don't worry just build a corridor had muchdoors, and make it repetable. So you can get large house and no body cares.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
grab (it's free), build your own house and import it.
there's nothing worse than seeing the same houses, rooms, models and building in so many games over and over again.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I'd say most devs use stock assets out of the box with no changes ( anyone?) but most or at least a lot of successful devs try to make at least the important backgrounds and characters feel unique. It helps you make your game stand out from the hundreds of others and shows that you invested the time to polish your game to potential backers.
It is however a trade off. How much time do you want to take to do the preproduction? If you are a new Dev the biggest thing is to start small. Learn the ropes before going all out on your magnum opus. Making one background for a small story is done a lot quicker than having to do a dozen.
For myself I like the process of designing sets so I like to take my time and make a unique looking game (for better or worse).

btw if you don't want to invest to much time you can get great results by retexturing (parts of) scenes to give it a fresh look. Below just to show how much of a difference a retexture can make in the feel of a scene. Isn't good but it was fast. Just think how far you can get if you actually try. I use this when building an entire set is very hard and/or doesn't make sense (my version of the is just a very slight retexture for instance (changed some colours to a green hue) to fit the setting of my game better.

Original:
1596151704811.png

two minutes of work:
1596151611305.png