How to make text speed instant in pen'py?

MausMaus

Aug 2, 2018
I'm playing general practitioner,and I have the text speed up all he way in settings but it still isn't instant. I've seen this in a few games and it really bothers me,is there a way to change it in files or maybe a patch or something for ren'py games to change this? I've seen a patch to make text boxes transparent and few other things like this,wondering if there is something similar for text speed?

Edit: Also a lot of times the music wont turn off,even if all the way down in the settings,since I'm might as well try to solve this also. :p

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Hmmm is this happening only in general practitioner or do you have the same problem in other ren'py games too?

Because usually the sliders should do exactly what you're trying to do....
You could add a text file to the game and replace the ending ".txt" with ".rpy" write this inside the file to have no audio and instant text speed:

Code:
init 100 python:
# Characters per second, 0 = unlimited
    preferences.text_cps = 0
# No Music
    renpy.music.set_volume(0, channel='music')

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
This is from old wiki but perhaphs helps:

And for muting renpy games, you can do this in windows (mute only renpy game, not the other apps).

MausMaus

Aug 2, 2018
Hmmm is this happening only in general practitioner or do you have the same problem in other ren'py games too?

Because usually the sliders should do exactly what you're trying to do....
You could add a text file to the game and replace the ending ".txt" with ".rpy" write this inside the file to have no audio and instant text speed:

Code:
init 100 python:
# Characters per second, 0 = unlimited
    preferences.text_cps = 0
# No Music
    renpy.music.set_volume(0, channel='music')
Its not happening in every ren'py game,but I have noticed it in a few. I mean it not a serious problem,but it just annoys me personally. Thank you tho,do I add the text file to \game folder or root folder?

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Its not happening in every ren'py game,but I have noticed it in a few. I mean it not a serious problem,but it just annoys me personally. Thank you tho,do I add the text file to \game folder or root folder?
in the:
/game/
folder, which holds all the .rpys or .rpas and so on and so forth ;)

Reactions: MausMaus

Bruni Multimedia

Donor
Game Developer
May 24, 2017
I'm playing general practitioner,and I have the text speed up all he way in settings but it still isn't instant. I've seen this in a few games and it really bothers me,is there a way to change it in files or maybe a patch or something for ren'py games to change this? I've seen a patch to make text boxes transparent and few other things like this,wondering if there is something similar for text speed?

Edit: Also a lot of times the music wont turn off,even if all the way down in the settings,since I'm might as well try to solve this also. :p
Sorry mate, that was an oversight on my part on the game. The "text speed" bar and the "Sound volume" bar are inverted, so that's why it won't work for you.
That's being corrected in the latest release of the game.

Have fun!

Reactions: Palanto

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Sorry mate, that was an oversight on my part on the game. The "text speed" bar and the "Sound volume" bar are inverted, so that's why it won't work for you.
That's being corrected in the latest release of the game.

Have fun!
Ah alright that makes sense then :D No wonder it didn't save his setting :)
Thanks for the info though, now I don't have to look further into it and check if it's something ren'py related :D

Reactions: Bruni Multimedia