Ren'Py How to make the text appear?

XartusStudio

Enchanting lewd
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2021
Hey!

I am already saying what I mean. It is about the text that appears on the screen letter by letter. Not the whole statement at once, but in parts. As, for example, in

or
This game

Bev_

Nov 17, 2018
Isn't it default for renpy? Letter by letter? Use Text speed slider in preferences.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
For an existing game in progress... you'd go into the game preferences and change the options for "Text Speed" and "Auto-Forward Time".

Text Speed at 100% means the text appears instantly. Anything less than that will make the text appear one letter at a time.
I tend to have mine at around 10% to 15%, which is fractionally quicker than my reading speed.

Auto-Forward Time set sets how long a bit of text dialogue will remain on screen before automatically advancing to the next line of dialogue... if you have AUTO switched on. (I do). There's a big long calculation involved, including how long each bit of dialogue is. But this settings affects how fast or slow the game auto advances.

If you're talking about a game of your own, where you want the defaults for new players to be how you prefer things, then you can override things with values like these two lines:

Python:
# --- options.rpy ---

default preferences.text_cps = 36
default preferences.afm_time = 8

This will only affect new play-throughs the first time played. After that, the game will use whatever values were for the latest play session. i.e. leaving the player's own choices in place.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

XartusStudio

Enchanting lewd
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2021
For an existing game in progress... you'd go into the game preferences and change the options for "Text Speed" and "Auto-Forward Time".

Text Speed at 100% means the text appears instantly. Anything less than that will make the text appear one letter at a time.
I tend to have mine at around 10% to 15%, which is fractionally quicker than my reading speed.

Auto-Forward Time set sets how long a bit of text dialogue will remain on screen before automatically advancing to the next line of dialogue... if you have AUTO switched on. (I do). There's a big long calculation involved, including how long each bit of dialogue is. But this settings affects how fast or slow the game auto advances.

If you're talking about a game of your own, where you want the defaults for new players to be how you prefer things, then you can override things with values like these two lines:

Python:
# --- options.rpy ---

default preferences.text_cps = 36
default preferences.afm_time = 8

This will only affect new play-throughs the first time played. After that, the game will use whatever values were for the latest play session. i.e. leaving the player's own choices in place.
Thanks, you are great!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
This applying to every text, and can be changed by the player (following what you said in the start of your answer).

Now, if it's for a punctual use, like by example to intensify the tension at a given moment, it's also possible to use the text tag. Just put the text you want to display letter by letter between the tag :
Code:
label whatever:
    MC "Hey babe, would you suck my dick if I by you a drink ?"
    girl "{cps=10}OUT OF QUESTION !{/cps} you freak !"
But be aware that it's really something to only use punctually. As player it's really annoying to play a game where you can define the speed at which the text is displayed, and see that the author don't cared and force you to play the whole game at a given pace.

Reactions: 79flavors