How to monetize a game with rape themes?

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
Asking for a friend. Is it possible to monetize (mostly on Patreon) a game where rape is present but not focal? The MC won't be participating in any of it, though you might get some glimpses of it here and there, and there are heavy alluding to it in the dialogue as lots of characters' motivations are to rape and pillage.

Could there even be some "unofficial" workarounds where you intentionally censor the game and have a patch made that de-censors it all?

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Wait a minute

The MC won't be participating in any of it
Only for that you shouldn't even get the rape tag. Also

though you might get some glimpses of it here and there, and there are heavy alluding to it in the dialogue as lots of characters' motivations are to rape and pillage.
Unless you have entire sex sequences about the rape, and it's only mentions you should be safe. I have mentions of rape in my game, but that doesn't get you the tag.

The bad things come when the MC gets directly involved in the rape.

The safest way would be getting into Subscribestar, but for some people it's not possible, like me :cry:

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Answering for a friend. I do believe, that not all games where rape is present will be banned, yet I do think that is more random than have a rule behind it. Regaredless I do think that any game where rape is somehow a game element and not part of a backstory would be banned there*.

Other than that a patch can be made to avoid Patreon TOS unsafe content, but if it comes out that the game has a patch (and made by the dev) then I assume it will be banned and it will be another topic, cause it is not only content that goes against their TOS, but a dev who tried to circumvent their TOS.

*I have no tie to Patreon.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Asking for a friend. Is it possible to monetize (mostly on Patreon) a game where rape is present but not focal? The MC won't be participating in any of it, though you might get some glimpses of it here and there, and there are heavy alluding to it in the dialogue as lots of characters' motivations are to rape and pillage.

Could there even be some "unofficial" workarounds where you intentionally censor the game and have a patch made that de-censors it all?
What matters to Patreon is if the rape is sexualized or not. As in, if it's meant to arouse players who are into rape. If it is, forget it.

Reactions: woody554

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021

Hmmm Patreon is fairly arbitrary on what they ban and what not also from my experience. Some stuff takes years to get noticed and some tame stuff gets banned right away. You could always try.
Afaik work arounds can get you banned too as the above poster said.
Generally you're "safer" on subscribestar or a japanese Site but you also have a smaller reach, on the plus site you wouldn't support a shitty site like Patreon lol.
(I should clarify that I'm not doing anything on Patreon myself, that is just stuff I read or heard from Artists I follow on Subscribestar that switched to it because Patreon became problematic.)

Last edited:

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021
Wait a minute

Only for that you shouldn't even get the rape tag. Also

Unless you have entire sex sequences about the rape, and it's only mentions you should be safe. I have mentions of rape in my game, but that doesn't get you the tag.

The bad things come when the MC gets directly involved in the rape.

The safest way would be getting into Subscribestar, but for some people it's not possible, like me :cry:
Do they still take ages to answer any approval request ?

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Do they still take ages to answer any approval request ?
I take it you're talking about subscribestar. From what I read, yeah, they still take their sweet time to approve pages. It's usually faster if you already have a game with a following, or a patreon. I don't know... I didn't get too far with them, since there are no ways for them to get payments for me (I live in a third world shithole).

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021
I take it you're talking about subscribestar. From what I read, yeah, they still take their sweet time to approve pages. It's usually faster if you already have a game with a following, or a patreon. I don't know... I didn't get too far with them, since there are no ways for them to get payments for me (I live in a third world shithole).
Ahhh ok sorry to hear there is no way for you to be paid out there.
I thought they just kinda let your application hang there, Subscribestars response time seems to be the biggest gripe.
(Not an Artist myself but I hear that a lot)

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
definitely possible, midnight ride comes to mind
maybe rape would have to be optional though

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
For more info on the game, in case it helps you guys understand a little more of where the friend is coming from:

The story is set in a post apocalyptic world. The MC joins a band of bandits who are ruthless and live by the code that death is inevitable in the new world, so it's best to take what you want now. And most of what they want are women, so they scour the lands looking for supplies and women to enslave and rape. The MC does not do any of the raping, though he tries to turn a blind eye to it. For background reasons that I'll choose to omit, he isn't necessarily evil like the others but joined them because he was cast out by society before the apocalypse, and so instead of joining up with the "good" survivors, he joins up with the group that society has cast him as.

In the story, none of the raping will be long enough for one to get a quick fap done. It'll mainly be in the background, for example, the MC might be having a conversation with a dude or two who are knee deep in pussy. There's a lot of dialogue about the bandits having a "good time" or whoring out their property to others as a trade for resources. All of this will be painted in a negative light and the player will never participate or even be presented with the choice to participate in that stuff.

Actually, now that I've read this, it's starting to look more and more unlikely this will be monetized :ROFLMAO:

Reaper9988

Sep 25, 2021
For more info on the game, in case it helps you guys understand a little more of where the friend is coming from:

The story is set in a post apocalyptic world. The MC joins a band of bandits who are ruthless and live by the code that death is inevitable in the new world, so it's best to take what you want now. And most of what they want are women, so they scour the lands looking for supplies and women to enslave and rape. The MC does not do any of the raping, though he tries to turn a blind eye to it. For background reasons that I'll choose to omit, he isn't necessarily evil like the others but joined them because he was cast out by society before the apocalypse, and so instead of joining up with the "good" survivors, he joins up with the group that society has cast him as.

In the story, none of the raping will be long enough for one to get a quick fap done. It'll mainly be in the background, for example, the MC might be having a conversation with a dude or two who are knee deep in pussy. There's a lot of dialogue about the bandits having a "good time" or whoring out their property to others as a trade for resources. All of this will be painted in a negative light and the player will never participate or even be presented with the choice to participate in that stuff.

Actually, now that I've read this, it's starting to look more and more unlikely this will be monetized :ROFLMAO:
Hmm I don't see why not. It's not like stuff "worse" is monetized. After all either way it's just fantasy.
If Patreon is the right platform though I don't know, but I also question if it's the right platform for adult content generally anymore. ::shrug::

Last edited:

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Basically, if you want something even remotely hardcore, you roll straight to substar and forget patreon entirely. Patreon basically tolerates only cheek kisses. And only during christmas. If they're in the good mood. And the stars are aligned right. :whistle::coffee:

Last edited: