How to overcome this problem

Max898

Oct 24, 2020
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 29, in <module>
Exception: Movie(channel='movie') doesn't work on mobile when config.hw_video is true. (Use a different channel argument.)

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 29, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1013, in execute
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2052, in py_eval_bytecode
  File "game/script.rpy", line 29, in <module>
  File "renpy/display/video.py", line 378, in __init__
Exception: Movie(channel='movie') doesn't work on mobile when config.hw_video is true. (Use a different channel argument.)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Code:
Well, that is weird since config.hw_video is dedicated to playing movies on mobile devices. But according to the core code, the error message is 100% accurate :
Code:
        if (self.channel == "movie") and (renpy.config.hw_video) and renpy.mobile:
            raise Exception("Movie(channel='movie') doesn't work on mobile when config.hw_video is true. (Use a different channel argument.)")
So, just use another channel to play the movies, and the problem should be solved :
Code:
image myMovie = Movie( play="the movie", channel="something else than movie" )

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Just checking... but is this a game you are writing yourself, or is it a game you are playing?

... and if you are just playing it... what is the name of the game?

If it's a game you are writing yourself, you'll have more options. (Since you'll already be familiar with editing code, etc).
If it's a game you are playing, you might just need to send a message to the developer. That is, unless you are okay editing code.

And just to confirm... but you ARE playing/testing this on an android device or something similar?

config.hw_video defaults to True. I dunno, maybe it needs to be False for this game?

The internal documentation in the code also says:

Code:
    `channel`
        The audio channel associated with this movie. When a movie file
        is played on that channel, it will be displayed in this Movie
        displayable. If this is not given, and the `play` is provided,
        a channel name is automatically selected.

I specifically note the use of "audio channel". I guess it will matter if the game's code specifically includes a channel= parameter in its code or whether (as the description seems to imply) the name "movie" has been automatically selected.

I'm also a little surprised by File "game/script.rpy", line 29 [...]. Line 29 is REALLY early in the game code. So I'm thinking maybe splashscreen? But even then, line 29 is oddly early when you consider character definitions, variables, etc.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018

At least right now, the HTML5 build doesn't support video

by
Ren'Py Creator

ITACHI444

Nov 21, 2022
[código]
Desculpe, mas ocorreu uma exceção não capturada.

Ao executar o código do jogo:
Arquivo "game/script.rpy", linha 29, em <module>
Exceção: Movie(channel='movie') não funciona em dispositivos móveis quando config.hw_video é verdadeiro. (Use um argumento de canal diferente.)

-- Rastreamento completo ---------------------------------------------- --------------

Rastreamento completo:
Arquivo "script.rpyc", linha 29, no script
Arquivo "renpy/ast.py", linha 1013, em executar
Arquivo "renpy/python.py", linha 2052, em py_eval_bytecode
Arquivo "game/script.rpy", linha 29, em <module>
Arquivo "renpy/display/video.py", linha 378, em __init__
Exceção: Movie(channel='movie') não funciona em dispositivos móveis quando config.hw_video é verdadeiro. (Use um argumento de canal diferente.)

[/código]
[/CITAR]
e I put a # tic tac toe in front of the code and managed to open the game on my cell phone

ITACHI444

Nov 21, 2022
[/CITAR]
[/CITAR]
#image movie = Movie(size=(1920, 1080), xpos=0, ypos=0, xanchor=0, yanchor=0) # play movie "/let to video" - a capacidade de inserir texto e botões no vídeo

UMA Then the canceled line of this code was like this because I don't know why the error anymore, not even opening the game, it wasn't just after I canceled this line that it worked