• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Tutorial Ren'Py How to patch a Renpy Game

DearLegend37

Game Compressor
Dec 20, 2019
there's really nothing to say. Would have you took few seconds to looks at my badges and signature, that you would have seen how wrong you are. But you're clearly too full of yourself for this.
How ironic, I admit that I can make mistakes and you are the one who expects your ''badges'' to speak for you - don't you see who is the one full of yourself here?
Egocentrism at it's best.

Instead of explaining how to properly patch the only thing you did was talk about how compressors shoulnd't patch games and how ''we don't respect games and their authors'' - If we dind't respect it we woulnd't spend our free time doing this for others.
And when I answered you back, you say, ''just look at my badges, you're wrong and you are too full of yourself'' - What?

Have a bit humility, we are all trying to help users in the way we can. The amount of badges you have doesn't make you better than anyone.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
How ironic, I admit that I can make mistakes and you are the one who expects your ''badges'' to speak for you
I don't expect them to speak for me. I just expect the "respected user" badge to prove that, contrarily to what you claim, I care about the community.

Instead of explaining how to properly patch
I've repeated myself enough during the last few years, always saying everything at least tenth times. And it happen that, like you, I do this for free and on my free time.
Anyone who is effectively eager to know how to patch a Ren'py game, and to do it properly and respectfully, can just look at the many threads regarding this particular subject. By example this post, but it's far to be the only one I wrote on the subject. Between Rich posts and mines, just reading this thread would teach you 80% of what one have to know to patch a Ren'py game.

Have a bit humility,
Since probably more than 75% of my post count is answer to a dev seeking for help, what I said so far on this discussion demonstrate that I have way more humility than I could have thought myself.

Techstar

Crlazy Compressor - Retired
Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
Dec 31, 2017
I do agree on anne O'nymous' method to properly patch a Ren'py game, but then the issue is more than 70% of the dev don't really know how to do it. That why a lot of the member reach out to us for an update version of the game (not just ren'py).

The method that being mention by DearLegend37 which I use do not alter any code. It simply compare between the old and the new version. Finding the different and unique files of the new version, so when the old ver being overwrite with the different and unique files of the new ver it will be identical to it.

I think both of you are doing great job for the community, but just start off from different stand point (dev and end user) and sometime text can be misread when we set our own tone to it. Hope both of you can peace out and continually help out the community happily.

Lastly, I will take this chance to thank anne O'nymous for all your interesting post regarding ren'py and also the superpower mod.

Reactions: Twistty

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
The method that being mention by DearLegend37 which I use do not alter any code.
It's not really the method that I, hmm "dislike". Once he explained why he, and other compressors, do it, I was perfectly fine with this.
The problem is more the fact that, perhaps not him I don't know, some compressors have been caught in the past silently altering the games, and some changing the version of Ren'py. I think that the least that should be done is to warn the members that will download the compressed version, that it's "this" or "that" have been changed, and why. After, the member is big enough to decide if he want to play this version or prefer spend time, and/or hard drive space, and/or part of this monthly bandwidth, downloading the original. But at least it will do it knowingly.

Hope both of you can peace out and continually help out the community happily.
Oh, personally I'm not near to stop. I mean, who would miss the opportunity to read things like:
Lastly, I will take this chance to thank anne O'nymous for all your interesting post regarding ren'py and also the superpower mod.
Thanks. I try, and it's always a pleasure to see that I sometime succeed.

Techstar

Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
Dec 31, 2017
This is true that some new compressor change the version of Ren'py without knowing is cause impact for the game, but they learn by mistake and become better.

Not sure about altering game for compression as I still new in the compression community (only started on Apr'21).
some compressors have been caught in the past silently altering the games, and some changing the version of Ren'py.
Yes, agree on this too. I do change ren'py version sometime as version before 6.99.12 doesn't support webp and will warn them it might break their save like this post.
I think that the least that should be done is to warn the members that will download the compressed version, that it's "this" or "that" have been changed, and why.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Not sure about altering game for compression as I still new in the compression community (only started on Apr'21).
As far as I know, it's something old now ; last time I saw it by myself was more than 7 months ago.
But it's the problem with suspicion, once it start, it's difficult to get rid of it. There's what, near to 1000 active Ren'py games available. Knowing that the, let's say 100 but it's probably more, I follow aren't altered do not imply that some among the 900 others aren't.
Not that I doubt, I wouldn't be there if I didn't have a strong trust on the staff and the vast majority of the uploaders, compressors and moderators. But well, now there's this little bit of doubt that make me write "vast majority of", while hopping that it's "all of them".

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Techstar

Techstar

Modder
Game Compressor
Donor
Dec 31, 2017
Understand the feeling as one bitten twice shy. I hope with the current compressor team, we will slowly gain your trust back in near future. If you do find any suspicion in any compressed game done by us, feel free to report it at Game Compression Request Thread.
As far as I know, it's something old now ; last time I saw it by myself was more than 7 months ago.
But it's the problem with suspicion, once it start, it's difficult to get rid of it. There's what, near to 1000 active Ren'py games available. Knowing that the, let's say 100 but it's probably more, I follow aren't altered do not imply that some among the 900 others aren't.
Not that I doubt, I wouldn't be there if I didn't have a strong trust on the staff and the vast majority of the uploaders, compressors and moderators. But well, now there's this little bit of doubt that make me write "vast majority of", while hopping that it's "all of them".

Reactions: anne O'nymous

DearLegend37

Game Compressor
Dec 20, 2019
contrarily to what you claim, I care about the community.
Just to be clear, I never said you don't care about the community, I said the opposite of that on my previous post - we all trying to help users.
I appreciate every modder (including yourself), uploader, compressor, gfx designer to everyone else that makes this forum happen.

Reactions: Techstar

jjberg77

Jan 6, 2021
Question. I get through steps 1-4, but when it is done all I get is the "hit any key to continue". I dont know where the patch goes.