How to play RPG games on mac

justjer_1

Jun 16, 2018
Hi guys,

Well i'm new on mac and I'm finding it difficult to open RPG games on my MAC

What do you guys use? Do I need to download something or I'm not doing it right?

Thanks in adance

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Similarly to linux you will probably have to use wine to play certain windows games.
You might also require some extra configuration steps like installing rtp and seting your emulation locale to japan so wine can recognize japanese characters if you are having trouble with those.

Google is your friend.

Reactions: justjer_1

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi guys,

Well i'm new on mac and I'm finding it difficult to open RPG games on my MAC

What do you guys use? Do I need to download something or I'm not doing it right?

Thanks in adance
Mac not MAC (MAC stands for Media Access Control).

All RPG Maker MV/MZ games run natively on Macs without the need for for extra tools like Wine/Crossover etc.

If a game thread doesn't offer a native Mac port, then you create your own native Mac version by downloading the Windows version of the game and rename the "www" folder into app.nw and put it into the right location inside the game's folder (right-click on game.app -> show packages - > Resources -> Content).

You can download the Mac engine files for RPG Maker MV/MZ from here:

Note: RPG Maker MZ use a different file structure (no longer have the "www" folder), but still can be ported from any Windows version.

No idea if M1 Macs are supported or not.

RPG Maker games that use an older engine (VX Ace / pre-MV) require Wine to run on your Mac.

Reactions: justjer_1

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
If a game thread doesn't offer a native Mac port, then you create your own native Mac version by downloading the Windows version of the game and rename the "www" folder into app.nw and put it into the right location inside the game's folder (right-click on game.app -> show packages - > Resources -> Content).
Hmmm, I think our scripter already tried this for our game, but it didn't work. I'm the team's writer so I don't know the ins and outs of technical development, but I think some scripts and plugins can wreck Mac ports. We don't have access to a Mac machine, so it makes things even worse...

Is there any benefit to doing these fancy conversions, as opposed to simply having players run the game through Wine?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Is there any benefit to doing these fancy conversions, as opposed to simply having players run the game through Wine?
In short wine always has a big performance impact, so if players can manage to play natively it is always a plus for them. But most mac/linux users are already used to not having native ports so it isn't like they expect games to work, it is more like they really appreciate when the game has a native port.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hmmm, I think our scripter already tried this for our game, but it didn't work. I'm the team's writer so I don't know the ins and outs of technical development, but I think some scripts and plugins can wreck Mac ports. We don't have access to a Mac machine, so it makes things even worse...
This happens if plugins are horrible written or modify core files too much.

Your team's project use some of those plugins like SRD_GameUpgrade and ARP_Commandicons that aren't compatible with UNIX systems.