Tutorial How to run 2D android apps on Quest2 + Multitasking

artistx

Aug 13, 2020
I've been trying out 2D apps on my quest2 for things like games, Jellyfin, and even steamlink for playing games from my pc so I figured I'd make a tutorial so others could do it too. I have no idea if this will work on the original quest.. possibly without multitasking.

1. The first step is getting and setting up SideQuest. The main problem with sidequest is that you need to setup a developer organization.. It's simple enough and sidequest has a bunch of tutorials so I won't cover it myself.

2. Once you have Sidequest Setup and you're Quest2 is connected through USB.
sidequest.jpg
Press the RED circled icon to load an android APK into your Quest2.

3. If everything worked correctly your 2D apps (as well as most things installed with sidequest) should show in apps under "Unknown Sources"
unknown-sources.jpg
It actually took me a while to find this when I first started..

4. (Optional) For Multitasking you just need to goto settings -> Experimental Features -> Scroll down until see Multitasking and click to enable it.
experimental.jpg

With multitasking enabled you have 3 slots you can open 2D apps in. When you want to open a 2nd or 3rd app you need to make sure you move your previously open apps to the left or right as whatever is in the center (with the white line) is replaced when opening a new app.

Side note: some games take a while to load(be patient) and some look zoomed-in when they load.. all you need to do to fix this is resize the window

Here's a list of stuff I know works:
Ren'py Based Games
Plex
Jellyfin
Steamlink

Feel free to post the apps/games you've gotten to work.