HTML How to setup a breeding system for a Twine management sim?

PsyTurtle

Jan 16, 2022
I'm working on a kinda management sim. I've been considering using Twine and Sugarcube. It's gonna be very text based and relatively bare bones for now, but I want to include a breeding system. Is there a Twine script or something anywhere for an easy breeding/genetics system? Any resources about how to set up something like that in Twine would also be appreciated.

I remember how to set this kinda thing up in RPG Maker VX Ace. But if I use RPGM, I'll get distracted and start trying to draw the player character and make maps. I don't wanna focus on that because I'm already doing graphic design stuff for another project. Apologies for any formatting errors, I'm posting this from mobile.

guest1492

Apr 28, 2018
I assume an easy genetics system would mean randomly selecting traits from 2 sets of traits (parents) to create 1 set of traits (child).

You can either do this by creating a JavaScript function or by creating a SugarCube widget. A widget is basically a function except it cannot return anything, but you can always set a variable to your 'return' value and access it outside of the widget.

Example function:
JavaScript:
setup.createChild = function (a, b) {
    const c = clone(a);
    for (const trait of Object.keys(b)) {
        if (random(1)) c[trait] = b[trait];
    }
    return c;
}
Example widget:
Code:
<<widget 'createChild'>><<nobr>>