• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz How to smile?!

May 9, 2021
Hello!

If anyone knows about a good asset for - or a tutorial or something about - making proper smiles (G8F and G8M), I would be very grateful if you shared it with me!

My trouble is that although I have some expressions and smiles installed, they look fake.

There are rarely any creases on the face when using the smile expressions, which make them look unrealistic. When there are some creases, they don't fit the custom, or mixed, face morph I have made for the model.

It seems to be the case that smiles only ever fit the model the were specifically made for. But is there something that can be done to make the expression fit a different face?

Again, I'd be very happy for any and all help.

/Z

watdapakisdis

Aug 24, 2016
Yep, most smile expressions only work with the model they were made from. You could try partial dialing (eg. 80%) and check if your character doesn't look like a creepy sex offender. I usually use the smile that comes with BlueJaunte's female figures.

Apr 18, 2021
You have stumbled upon one of the greatest challenges of Daz Studio, convincing expressions, especially smiles.
Like others said, some authors will package a smile for their character which already looks good given those morphs.
My advice would be to get as many expression packs as you can and experiment with your characters with different smiles until you find one that you like. Then write it down for future reference. You may have to do this with every character you make unfortunately. This is what separates run of the mill 3D art from the best stuff.
G8.1F has made some advancements with expressions which you may want to check out. Be advised not every product will be backwards compatible.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
The key to convincing smiles is to use PowerPose. One of its controls will lift the corners of the mouth up. Then, go up the face adjusting all the other facial features. A real-life smile pushes the cheeks up, and the area under the eyelids, and narrows the eyes. Finally you'll need to adjust the brow depending on how warm or wicked the smile is.

Last edited:

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
FACS is great to create realistic expressions, including smiles.
A bit like power pose but with much more controls and only for the face.
Note that its use may be a bit confusing. It is an asset parented to the char (that is generally not at the proper position and you have to move the hip where you want). Also note that it does not render in filament and you must use other interactive display modes to see (and use) it. But it renders in iray, including the final renders! Besides these silly features, I find it great to use. Select the point of the face you want to move and move it with the displacement tool.
Maybe the produced expressions can be turned to a preset or morph for later use. Haven't tried, but there is no reason why it would not work.

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Here is a pack that I converted/collected myself of smiling morphs for g8f, that show up in the pose tab.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Install it where you have your "\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female" along with the other morphs there, then once you load your female character, you will have 25 new smiles easy to access, and good ones if I may so.

May 9, 2021
Here is a pack that I converted/collected myself of smiling morphs for g8f, that show up in the pose tab.

Install it where you have your "\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female" along with the other morphs there, then once you load your female character, you will have 25 new smiles easy to access, and good ones if I may so.
Awesome! Thanks, mate!

Reactions: Madmanator99

WalkerAcended

Sep 28, 2021
[QUOTE = "Fatalmasterpiece, publicación: 6405810, miembro: 3600739"]
Te has topado con uno de los mayores desafíos de Daz Studio, las expresiones convincentes, especialmente las sonrisas.
Como dijeron otros, algunos autores empaquetarán una sonrisa para su personaje que ya se ve bien dados esos morfos.
Mi consejo sería conseguir tantos paquetes de expresión como puedas y experimentar con tus personajes con diferentes sonrisas hasta que encuentres una que te guste. Luego escríbalo para referencia futura. Es posible que tengas que hacer esto con todos los personajes que haces, desafortunadamente. Esto es lo que separa el arte 3D corriente de las mejores cosas.
G8.1F ha realizado algunos avances con expresiones que quizás desee consultar. Tenga en cuenta que no todos los productos serán compatibles con versiones anteriores.
[/ CITA]
Soy nuevo en daz
[QUOTE = "Fatalmasterpiece, publicación: 6405810, miembro: 3600739"]
Te has topado con uno de los mayores desafíos de Daz Studio, las expresiones convincentes, especialmente las sonrisas.
Como dijeron otros, algunos autores empaquetarán una sonrisa para su personaje que ya se ve bien dados esos morfos.
Mi consejo sería conseguir tantos paquetes de expresión como puedas y experimentar con tus personajes con diferentes sonrisas hasta que encuentres una que te guste. Luego escríbalo para referencia futura. Es posible que tengas que hacer esto con todos los personajes que haces, desafortunadamente. Esto es lo que separa el arte 3D corriente de las mejores cosas.
G8.1F ha realizado algunos avances con expresiones que quizás desee consultar. Tenga en cuenta que no todos los productos serán compatibles con versiones anteriores.
[/CITA]
Bro, I am new to Daz and I have had a good progress but after downloading a pack of smiles I have no idea how to upload them to the model, I have them inside Daz but I don't know how to put them on my model. Help plz :(

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Bro, I am new to Daz and I have had a good progress but after downloading a pack of smiles I have no idea how to upload them to the model, I have them inside Daz but I don't know how to put them on my model. Help plz :(
This is a pack without user facing files. It provides morphs for g8F and the morphs are available in the parameters tabs when the char is selected. The morphs should be named smile 01, etc, and you just have to move the slider as you want.
Be careful to install the files properly as indicated. The dials will only be available after DS is restarted.

Apr 18, 2021
That depends on your issue, can you describe the problem?
First, for best results make sure you're using expressions that match your figure, G3 or G8 or G8.1... don't mix and match.
Make sure your expressions are installed correctly. You can see them in your Content Library.
Now load and select your figure. If you select the head, you will see under Parameters>Pose Controls a list of expressions you can dial in. These work best.
You can also search for your expressions in the Content Library. Here I searched for 8.1 for any expressions which can be used for Genesis 8.1
Sometimes file authors have a bad habit of putting expressions into the wrong folder, especially for 8.1 which is new. Make sure your search is set to "file"
howexpressions.jpg

TDoddery

Apr 28, 2020

Thanks for these smiles mate, but in case it helps anyone else, and not being funny or anything, in the text of each of those "Smile 0x" files there are two references to a file path which includes "/Femaledef/" and it threw a missing file error on my system when loading a scene.

I went through and text edited them all to just "/Female/" and it all worked fine like that.

Apr 18, 2021
I have discovered it is better to use the expression dials under the parameters tab for expressions rather than the expression preset in your library. This way you can dial in the amount of the expression rather than the preset which is 100% and is often too extreme.