VN Ren'Py How to start making 2D art for Renpy games

DirtyPants

Sep 16, 2022
I am planning to make a renpy VN game and the thing I need the most is art. I am really just a newbie to making games and art for the said games.
I tried using Daz to make some 3D characters and all but I soon realized that my PC is not made for that. So now I want to work on 2D art and design.
Also tried using Blender but it was intimidating.

So my question is, How should I start making 2D characters?
What software should I use?
Is there any library-like thing where you can get premade characters and just edit a bit to make what you need? like Daz content library

For now, that's pretty much it, I hope anyone can help me with this.
Thanks in advance

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
I commission an artist for my art assets, but I do know that it's possible to create a 2D effect in Daz or other 3D model engines by using filters. As you said that your computer is not powerful enough to run 3D software, the only way to create 2D assets is to draw them yourself, commission someone to do it, or use an AI service that will generate the images for you.

DirtyPants

Sep 16, 2022
I commission an artist for my art assets, but I do know that it's possible to create a 2D effect in Daz or other 3D model engines by using filters. As you said that your computer is not powerful enough to run 3D software, the only way to create 2D assets is to draw them yourself, commission someone to do it, or use an AI service that will generate the images for you.
could you tell me what AI services I can use to get these 2D assets?
Thanks for replying

Deleted member 5189987

Developer of Amborella
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2022
Unfortunately, I have not used an AI service myself. Maybe you can Google which online AI service is the best, or open a thread with that question. How it works is that you input a prompt (for example: woman with big boobs naked in garden anime), and then it will create assets with that query.

But please be aware that AI art might be anatomically incorrect in its current state.

Reactions: DirtyPants

MalumMalus

Game Developer
Nov 19, 2022
If you feel like you you can draw all the assets yourself then you have few software choices:
Photoshop - but it is expensive one. However will be useful for creating GUI assets and adjusting all the images for your visual novel

Clip Studio Paint - probably one of the best software to draw stuff. And on top of that it is really affordable, very cheap compared to Photoshop.

Gimp - which is a free version of the photoshop but I don't use it for years now, so don't know what changed and if this software somehow evolved.

If you don't feel like you can draw all the necessary assets by yourself then consider commissioning it to some artist. The price range depends a lot of what you need. Besides that various artists have very different rates. You have to do own research if you want to commission it. Recommend to start looking on deviantart or artists&clients websites.

Last edited:
Reactions: DirtyPants