How to stream games online?

TimB

Apr 28, 2019
Hello. I wanted to ask how do sites like make games made with renpy and unity playable online? Anyone with any idea how they do that? I tried searching online but could not find many resources. If anyone can point me in the right direction I am willing to learn.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
While older games use flash, which is no longer supported, game engines like unity, Monogame, Godot are able to export to a WebGL and even HTML5 (but still WebGL used) build of the game. These builds are able to be run in a browser. I don't think any renpy games can be run in a browser because they rely on their python interpreter alongside their built-in interpreter engine and unless the sight has a built-in interpreter (you basically would have to code your own website at that point) I don't think you can run python-based games in browser. If you mean games than play like a visual novel, well then that goes back to probably a flash or other game engine that just has said features built into the game as a game design choice.

running in WebGL mode is sub-optimal since it tends to lead to a lot more compiler errors, the game has a resource restriction and delay due to having to interface with the browser, etc. That is why unity games and newgrounds developed a "player" a special program that acts as a virtual browser or game console, but has direct access to computer resources and can run outside the browser, so it can support older formats such as ye olden flash type games. This also means that unity builds can avoid a buggy WebGL export and export for their desired system instead which is much more stable and reliable.

Reactions: TimB

TimB

Apr 28, 2019
While older games use flash, which is no longer supported, game engines like unity, Monogame, Godot are able to export to a WebGL and even HTML5 (but still WebGL used) build of the game. These builds are able to be run in a browser. I don't think any renpy games can be run in a browser because they rely on their python interpreter alongside their built-in interpreter engine and unless the sight has a built-in interpreter (you basically would have to code your own website at that point) I don't think you can run python-based games in browser. If you mean games than play like a visual novel, well then that goes back to probably a flash or other game engine that just has said features built into the game as a game design choice.

running in WebGL mode is sub-optimal since it tends to lead to a lot more compiler errors, the game has a resource restriction and delay due to having to interface with the browser, etc. That is why unity games and newgrounds developed a "player" a special program that acts as a virtual browser or game console, but has direct access to computer resources and can run outside the browser, so it can support older formats such as ye olden flash type games. This also means that unity builds can avoid a buggy WebGL export and export for their desired system instead which is much more stable and reliable.
Im looking into Renpy games and seems like renpy comes with a webassembly that can be used to make games run on browsers.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I don't think any renpy games can be run in a browser [...]
Since around the version 7.1, Ren'py offer the possibility to build the game directly for a web browser, including some support for it. And, like TimB said, there's still RenPyWeb for older versions.