How to tell what version of rpgmaker game uses

Jul 21, 2020
Is there any way to know before downloading what version of rpg maker the game uses before downloading? One of my arrow keys have broken recently so has made it that I can only really play newer games with mouse controls however I find myself downloading older games not knowing that I wont be able to play them. Is there anyway I can know beforehand?

TheBlueKnight

Discussion Dynamo
Respected User
Jr. Uploader
Oct 1, 2018
You could try checking it's games thread or store page. For example if you look at the AKIRA Points it tells you it's MV, and it's come up in the game thread. With Depravity of a Lewd Vampire and the thread tell you it's VX Ace.

Reactions: scrumbles

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
What TheBlueKnight said. Also:
  • if they say that you need to install an RTP, the game is definitely NOT made with RPG Maker MV/MZ. So, mouse support is very unlikely
  • if there is an Android/Mac/Linux download link, the game is made with RPG Maker MV/MZ and you should be able to play it
  • depending on the engine, UI elements look different (shape, color). Compare for instance both the icons on the top left corner and the text-boxes: you can tell that #1 is made with VX (Ace?), #2 is made with MV
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • RPG Maker MV/MZ games have a standard resolution (816x624) higher than older engines (for instance it is 640x416 in VX Ace): the screenshot sizes may gave you a hint
  • character icons in XP and older versions, are very different from both VX/VX Ace/MV. This is how they typically look in XP for instance
  • character faces like that are from MV or higher