How/what to, do renders with an AMD GPU.

Xer042

Oct 11, 2018
Hello all, I am not happy with the quality of open CL renders and i cant use IRay at the moment because of my GPU. I have looked all over to similar questions on this issue but havent found a solid solution. I did buy Luxusrender for Daz Studio but it errors on start every time. I cant launch Luxus outside of Daz for some reason as well so Luxus is a waste right now. I then went to learn to export into Blender because they have ProRender plugins, so i though I would try there. After installing export plugins for Daz then Importers for blender everything was going smoothly, but upon the first import attemp i had an error with the text data, something about Lights i added in Daz. I removed the lights and made a basic scene to export. Had another error with the camera. OK so now i am stopping along that avenue, and then how about exporting to an FBX since Blender can natively open it. After a few settings tweaks success, but wait the scene has no textures now so renders are just shapes of the asset. Material is there so i can see it but no textures. Hmmmmm, and that's where i gave up last night. I did just read about needing Blender installed on the C drive to have teleblender 3 work properly. I will try that later on today, but would anyone else possibly be able to give a suggestion on what else may be an issue? Anything helps right now, many thanks!

Also i will be buying an RTX card after the holidays but i have about 50 scenes to render and some animations as well and 2 days for a frame isnt fun haha.

basium

Game Developer
Feb 22, 2017
Sadly as Daz users we are pretty much raped by nvidia. #metoo!
Read about the rtx cards before you buy. They seem to not work that well.

Have you tried the new daz beta 4.11 and cpu render with post denoiser enabled? Your texture quality will suffer a bit but the increase in speed is huge. But maybe it wont work on cpu because Nshittia? :p

Xer042

Oct 11, 2018
I have reat about the failures of the RTX cards and that also a reason to wait for them. And yes Rape is what i feel when i see the prices for cards. Double retail and its a last gen card is rediculous. Nvidia site for 1080 ti is $699. Good luck getting one for less that $1300 for a reliable card haha.

basium

Game Developer
Feb 22, 2017
I dont know what kind of speeds you are used too. But maybe you can find used 1070's on the market for cheap because everyone wants to upgrade?
Or a 1080ti if you work with bigger scenes

Xer042

Oct 11, 2018
Like I said, a 1080 ti is hard to find for a good price and used ones are even harder to find. I feel I may grab a Quadro for the renders and run the Vega as the main card like I do now. Plus it would mean I can keep the settings to render inside of blender with prorender since I have that setup with a few test items there. I wanted to utilize the prorender but with mjcteleblender it has to be done with cycles so I will try that avenue. still working to get luxrender working though...… Hello wall, meet Face./ thud

Last edited:

Xer042

Oct 11, 2018
Ahaaahhh success, got the import to blender and able to render with materials looking proper, now to light them and make them look right.

TheTalSet

Sep 9, 2018
Blender has ProRender @Xer042 - Did you had any sucess ? I am also looking for a solution because I unfortnaly switched from a nvidia 970 to 2x580rx

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Octane Render should be compatible with OpenCL soon so when that happens you can use it with Daz

Xer042

Oct 11, 2018
Blender has ProRender @Xer042 - Did you had any sucess ? I am also looking for a solution because I unfortnaly switched from a nvidia 970 to 2x580rx
Yes i did, you must have Blender installed to the C drive. Also since you went to 2 RX580's DO NOT run them in crossfire. All you do for rendering is expand your memory when run in Crossfire/SLI. Run both cards on seperate lanes and then the work will be distributed and computed seperately like they should. I did find an Nvidia card to help my renders now (GTX 970 founders). I run it as a compute card not the display card and my render times were cut down to about half of the time.

Xer042

Oct 11, 2018
The RX580 is fine for rendering with Blender and other render engines that d not require Cuda acceleration. Just dont run in crossfire unless you are planning to mainly game with them. I game only in 1080p so a single 580 works for me and the games i play. I run the GTX for meshroom mainly because it requires Cuda like Iray does. You can run 2 or even all 3 cards if you want and it will up your render times exponentially. As long as your motherboard and CPU dont bottleneck the graphics computing. What is the rest of your setup?

TheTalSet

Sep 9, 2018
Nice to here that you can render good with ProRender in Blender.
I still have to learn so many thing. I never worked with Blender (only Cinema4D) and I don´t know how to export from DAZ3d to Blender (I know there are .obj files and more. Well there are surely many stuff out there how to do that)

But even when it is in Blender, how is working with Blender? I mean with lightnings, positions, Library, adding content etc.

About my Setup:

I don´t think that my other setup is bottle necking :

Samsung SSD850 PRO 1TB
16 GB Corsair DDR4
Intel i7 9700K
Asus z390 Pro

Xer042

Oct 11, 2018
I use Teleblender3.20 to expot Daz into blender. then I also added a few lighting modules into blender for color correction. Review BenderGuru on youtube on how to make renders look better in blender and he lists what addons you will need.
yeah your system isn't bottlenecked haha, I have a z97 board and a 4790K 16g ddr3 @1866MHz.
Follow the tutorial for teleblender and it makes the importing a snap.

Reactions: TheTalSet