HTML HTML NEWBIE

Diegovnia

Dec 23, 2018
Hello, I'm looking for some help with developing a game in HTML format.

I'm trying to kickstart myself in gamedev a little since it may help me find motivation.

So I'm pretty lost in general and, could anyone suggest me where to start?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Twine or Sugarcube are the two main HTML-based VN game engines. They are generally very approachable for relatively simple text based game with some images. If you want to tell a story rather than work on visuals, they are perfect.

Don't expect to have a great user interface, unless you are prepared to do extensive customisation.

Reactions: Animalsfan5698

Diegovnia

Dec 23, 2018
Thanks, I have played with it for a while, I'm slightly confused about it but hopefully I'll manage to do something with it...

Reactions: osanaiko

K.T.L.

Keeping Families Together
Donor
Mar 5, 2019
If you're looking for something that doesn't have the complexity of Twine, you could take a look at Choicescript, something that doesn't get mentioned here very often. You create the scripts as text files. It's displayed as menu driven text in a CYOA style with the possibility of adding images if you need them. It can be compiled into an HTML file for distribution.

Diegovnia

Dec 23, 2018
Nice!! Thank you, I will surely give it a try. What I wanted to do is some sort of a short story add couple variables maybe. I was thinking about the renpy since I've been learning Python for some time. On the other hand I do know quite a bit about html and css and just trying to learn JS but when I tried Twine it kind surprised me with the syntax which looks to me [and I'm absolutely not an expert] like a hybrid of HTML, PHP and JS... Which seems challenging but interesting to learn and explore.

I will surely give it a try tho. Thanks again!