HTML HTML save files in Firefox

ARB582

Jan 6, 2018
Where are saves for html games located in firefox ?
My saves are missing whenever i try a new update for a game. I know i can just save to file and load from file too, but on chrome my data was saved automatically between updates

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
The saves are stored in the browser's local storage and not as files you can access. If they are gone from firefox, maybe you cleared the browser data/cache causing the saves to be deleted.

ARB582

Jan 6, 2018
The problem is not that save files are gone but that they dont automatically show up when playing a new update.
For example, when i downloaded your game's latest update a while back, i couldn't see any save files to load but luckily i hadn't deleted the previous version and when i opened that up the save files were present, so all i had to do was save to file and load from file to transfer them.
I initially thought it was just something to do with your game, maybe you changed something but since then it has happened with multiple other games. I never had this problem with chrome just with firefox.
Also i used something called Hiev's local storage manager which allowed me to see my Html save files but it doesn't work with firefox and was wondering if something like that existed for firefox.

Edit : Upon further testing it seems to be location specific. If i just copy the game folder to someplace else the save files disappear and reappear when i move the game back to its original folder. That seems to be the issue in firefox

Last edited:
Reactions: JKDDio

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
The problem is not that save files are gone but that they dont automatically show up when playing a new update.
For example, when i downloaded your game's latest update a while back, i couldn't see any save files to load but luckily i hadn't deleted the previous version and when i opened that up the save files were present, so all i had to do was save to file and load from file to transfer them.
I initially thought it was just something to do with your game, maybe you changed something but since then it has happened with multiple other games. I never had this problem with chrome just with firefox.
Also i used something called Hiev's local storage manager which allowed me to see my Html save files but it doesn't work with firefox and was wondering if something like that existed for firefox.

Edit : Upon further testing it seems to be location specific. If i just copy the game folder to someplace else the save files disappear and reappear when i move the game back to its original folder. That seems to be the issue in firefox
I tried my game with firefox and discovered I have the same problem as you. Can't recall ever hearing about this problem before, and I don't use firefox, I use chrome, so I have no idea if this is a new thing or why it happens.

May 25, 2018
Probably .

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Probably .
I followed the instructions to disable it, but that didn't fix the problem. Though, it's possible you must clear the cache/cookies too, which I didn't.

Last edited:

ARB582

Jan 6, 2018
Well i cant find a fix for it either. Atleast i know the saves are not deleted, so itd more of an inconvenience rather than a major issue

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I tried my game with firefox and discovered I have the same problem as you. Can't recall ever hearing about this problem before, and I don't use firefox, I use chrome, so I have no idea if this is a new thing or why it happens.
I believe that was how it always worked if you run these games directly through the browser, even during the flash era I remember having issues with persistent saving if I changed the file name/location and why I often kept manual save backups just to be safe.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I believe that was how it always worked if you run these games directly through the browser, even during the flash era I remember having issues with persistent saving if I changed the file name/location and why I often kept manual save backups just to be safe.
Chrome doesn't have this issue though.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Chrome doesn't have this issue though.
I'm not sure it is an issue as much as simply how it was designed, it probably creates different cached folders for different filepaths.

It is good for when you want to run multiple instances of the same program from different locations, but not that good for general gaming.