I have a copyrights problem?

sinnerrr

Jul 24, 2017
I found a free hair on this page:

unfortunately I did not realize that it was licensed for non-commercial use. The thing is that I already have almost 200 renders with that asset and I want to open a patreon to promote my game ... how can I get the license, do I really need the license?
I never thought it would be a problem to never have played the witcher... 1.png

sinnerrr

Jul 24, 2017
I would assumt CDPR hold the license, it's their game it's from.

That being said i've never known CDPR to chase down anyone for using their assets in things like this.
I agree with you, I will continue using it. thanks for the reply.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
I found a free hair on this page:

unfortunately I did not realize that it was licensed for non-commercial use. The thing is that I already have almost 200 renders with that asset and I want to open a patreon to promote my game ... how can I get the license, do I really need the license?
I never thought it would be a problem to never have played the witcher... View attachment 710578
When you make a patreon, you are asking for financial support while you make a project, not selling a product, as such it arguably still counts as non-commercial work. That being said, if you keep your project (I'm assuming a game) behind a permanent, rather than timed,pay-wall or offer special renders using those assets as patron benefits then that might be a problem.

An alternative is to set-up the patreon but make the game downloadedable from an outside source like your own website, several creators of incest games have done that in the past.

Reactions: sinnerrr

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
What the other guy says is nonsense.
The "other guy" is a girl. It's not because she can't be a stormtrooper for some reasons that she'll not beat your ass if you make her angry.

This is INSPIRED by the Witcher. Credit goes to the author on renderosity. If he nicked it directly from the Witcher assets, then he's the one liable, not you.
It's just the hair, and they are just inspired by. You can't be pursued for this. The whole character, clothes included, need to be lookalike for this starting to be a legal problem with CD Projekt.

Plus, that the asset is "inspired by", don't change the original problem : is, or not, Patreon model compatible with "non-commercial use" licenses.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
When you make a patreon, you are asking for financial support while you make a project, not selling a product, as such it arguably still counts as non-commercial work. That being said, if you keep your project (I'm assuming a game) behind a permanent, rather than timed,pay-wall or offer special renders using those assets as patron benefits then that might be a problem.

An alternative is to set-up the patreon but make the game downloadedable from an outside source like your own website, several creators of incest games have done that in the past.
I'm pretty sure that is not how it works. You are still profiting from the game through your Patreon. It is not that people are just throwing money at you for nothing. You are still a business using this product to make money. I doubt a lawyer would have trouble connecting the dots.