Daz I have a question about render ratio

XartusStudio

Enchanting lewd
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2021
Hey!

I started working on my game, I have a script, everything is ready and I put it together. I have a question, in two days I made 9 renders in 1080p. Is this a good result? I mean, should I speed up my work or is it going pretty well? I would love to hear your ratio and opinions!

zger

Sep 6, 2017
if u were working on 9 different scenes during these 2 days then its rly good. if its 9 renders from same scene then its rly bad.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Context matter, like that it doesn't mean much. I do small shitty game prototype as a hobby, so I'm not 'showcasing' (top notch quality) anything and my main concern is speed over quality (to an extent) because limited time.

Best thing is knowing how fast you can go on average. With a 2070, a full 1080 render take me around ~12 min on average (and keep consistance, took me around year to make this well). I use every tricks in the book to crank rendering time (mostly Iray pane that send light in the void).

Now I can push for sub ~10 min, but is the opprtunty cost worth it (mostly tweaking background surfaces, using DoF)? Will I even re-use that scene? Healthy thing should be to keep track how much each scenes cost you time on average as a benchmark, and keep improving that aspect (without much quality loss).

And yes a rainy jungle at midnight ain't gonna render the same as mom answering the phone in the kitchen. All in all, 2 or 150 a day mean not much (outside a beefy card).

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
As with any other endeavor, you're going to get faster as you go along. If those 9 renders feel like you've accomplished something, then you've accomplished something.

zger has a very valid point. The first time I set up a completely new scene (new locale in my game, for example) it can easily take me an hour - maybe more - to get it to the point that I'm happy with all the props, lighting, etc. If, on the other hand, I have a scene between two characters sitting in a room that has a whole sequence of renders, I may only need 5 minutes to set up each individual view once I've gotten the first one done. I save all my scene .duf files, so if my game goes back to a locale that I've already set up, then I don't have to pay that long setup time again - I can take one of the scenes I did previously and then just make alterations to it. Similarly, I save the characters as scene subsets, clothing as wearable presets, etc., so that I can just drop in something that I've set up before. So, to a certain extent, I accelerate as I go along, because I leave behind "reusable stuff." But early on, when every single location was new and had to be chosen, tweaked, lit, etc., I wasn't getting through very many per day.

So, factor all of that in to your self-evaluation.

My own workflow is to sit down and bang out a bunch of .duf files in an evening, and then to render them overnight using So, I tend to think in terms of "how many .duf files did I create in a day," since unless I'm doing animations, the number of files I'm going to crank out in an evening are going to render overnight without any problem. So, I'm really constrained by how quickly I can bang out the scenes, not how long they take to render. (I think that type of workflow is very common among people that are using Daz Studio to do games.)

Reactions: zger

hansolocambo

Jun 21, 2020
"9 renders" means nothing at all.
Is it ... a cube ? Is it 80K people in a fully modeled town with cars and tress ?
You work on a game.... so what do you need 3D pre-rendered DAZ images for ???

A 2 lines question with 0 screenshots doesn't really help to answer.

Last edited: