I made a new game

maiie

Apr 10, 2020
TS.png

Hi all. Made a new RPG Maker game... an unabashed rip-off of Bawdy Traditions. A married couple is given a generous offer to work on an island resort and bail out of their financial debt... but the hotel has a seedy reputation that must be overcome. Very early, just in alpha stage right now. I don't have a Patreon so not really fussed do all the upload links and stuff required, just throwing it out there for people to try. Links below. If anyone wants to do a full thread for it, go right ahead. No worries, otherwise.

Windows -
Mac -

Last edited:

Catapo

Jun 14, 2018
TL;DR
SOLID first release for what the game is going for and I am really looking forward to it.

I just played this and I was pleasantly surprised so here are some of my thoughts.

- If you want people to try your game, you MUST have some screenshots and a description in this post, not many weirdos like me click blindly on download links.

- While yes you can see the inspiration from Bawdy Traditions I wouldn't call it a rip-off, this game can stand on it's own IMO, don't undersell your creation here.

- The game could benefit from a couple of more scenes at the beginning to establish the main couple, their jobs and their financial troubles. I am not a big fan of the quick dump at the beginning and then straight to the life changing call.

- The dialogue felt a bit awkward in the initial narration so you might want to look over that one a bit but for the rest of the game was pretty good, and the english was good too.

- There are lines where the dialogue does not fit into the textbox, not by a lot, you can still understand what the words are but it is ugly to see.

- I think there is a bug when you go all the way to the right past the showers into what I assume is the massage area since you get immediately sent back. Might be a trigger issue there or something.

- So far I liked all the characters introduced, and I see plenty of potential in the setting you have here where the locals / guests are trying to corrupt both of them.

- Even if you have an auto save feature you should still implement a manual save option as well.

- A few small interactions and player feedback here and there might be good. Telling why you can't go certain places, or adding character thoughts about certain locations / things, quick greetings between characters and guests, small events around the map, etc.

- If you want a game thread you need to make a post on the game request section following the template from there. But since you currently only have Day 1 I wouldn't rush with a thread yet until you have more content since first impressions are really important.

Overall, solid first release and I am looking forward to the next release.
Keep up the good work, good luck!

Reactions: Doorknob22

maiie

Apr 10, 2020
Thanks a lot, good point about the images/presentation/etc., probably looks questionable to just drop random links in a thread. And thanks for the feedback!

maiie

Apr 10, 2020
I updated the game...

for the Mac Version
for the PC Version

It says I don't have sufficient rights to make a game thread, so posting here in case anyone is interested

SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
I downloaded your game and so far looks interesting. But I quickly noticed the bug from the beginning. Characters are doubled. When you play for wife, the husband staying in the room and his another version in her party following her.

1688783311997.png

Catapo

Jun 14, 2018
Got the new version now, and yeah there is an obvious issue, which was not in the first version. From the start of the game there is another version of Luca following the characters around.

Also for me, in this version the game freezes towards the end of day 1 after I was done with Luca, in the scene where Kora returns to the room, so I was not able to continue from there.

The text issue, I mentioned earlier, not fitting in the text boxes is still present.

On a positive note the issue with the massage area is fixed and it seems a manual save option was added now.

IMHO you should stop working on new content and really start to fix and polish what you have so far before continuing.

maiie

Apr 10, 2020
Thanks for the feedback, gonna poke around here

A couple clarifying things... as I test it, it seems like everything works fine if you skip the intro. If you play through the intro, it gets messed up. Is that the case for you or is it messed up either way?

Do you know which text isn't fitting in the box? It's a ton of text to sift through each individual dialogue box

Catapo

Jun 14, 2018
Thanks for the feedback, gonna poke around here

A couple clarifying things... as I test it, it seems like everything works fine if you skip the intro. If you play through the intro, it gets messed up. Is that the case for you or is it messed up either way?

Do you know which text isn't fitting in the box? It's a ton of text to sift through each individual dialogue box
Initially I played through the intro again, and that is what caused the extra sprite issue.

I played the game again by skipping the intro this time and I was able to play to the end of day 2 but the game still froze for me a couple of times: a couple of times interacting with the mannequin for the maid outfit event, and a couple of times at night during the sex scene.

Each time the game froze I just reloaded from a save file and replayed until eventually it worked.

As for the text not fitting I started taking notes on the lines but I realized there are way too many so instead I counted the characters and it turns out the issue is with:
- Textboxes with a character portrait and a line longer than ~45 characters
- Textboxes without portraits with a line longer than ~55 characters

maiie

Apr 10, 2020
Thanks a lot, this is really helpful. I fixed the sprite bug and the maid event bug. The sex scene freezing will take some time to sort out (there's a lot of variations on the scene depending on what events the player did) so I'll have to run through those variations.

maiie

Apr 10, 2020
New version of the game:

Mac version:
PC version:

Catapo

Jun 14, 2018
New version of the game:

Mac version:
PC version:
Got the new version yesterday and I have to say this was a very stable version.
I did not encounter any bugs, sprite issues or freezings this time around and I replayed from the beginning.

Don't know if you changed something to the text or I got used to it but the text issue was present but less noticeable. This was never a major issue, more of a nitpick since you can understand what the lines say.

I played it on JoiPlay so that might be the reason but other games do not have that issue.

All I look forward to now is more content.

Good job and keep up the great work !

maiie

Apr 10, 2020
Thanks! This is my first time using RPG Maker so glad I'm able to iron things out correctly

SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
After trying the last version, I didn't encounter previous bugs. The only one that I noticed is that music doesn't play when you're starting the day or skipping the prologue. But it appears after you enter the corridor leading to public baths.

As for the game itself, I liked it and considering that you were inspired by Bawdy Traditions I admit it feels better. Writing is very good and overall it's interesting dynamic between characters. Also, a good thing that boyfriend has his own leverage and he is not just silent observer, it gives so needed variety to games of such genre. The only concern on my part it's about default sex animation from koikatsu. I don't know how serious you're about this project, but if you could make custom animations later on, it would be much better. Still pictures during erotic events were quite arousing and nicely done, but when it came to the actual act with the boyfriend, I didn't really like the way it was handled.

I think you could easily start a Patreon right now and it will definitely get some attention, there is enough content for the first release. You can open a ticket for developer role and get ownership of the thread if you decide to do so. I'll be watching this game.

Reactions: maiie

Kotobiki

Dec 3, 2020
This game is great, despite being a "shameless rip-ff" of Bawdy Traditions it has its own identity imo and has potential to be just as good or better. Too bad theres so little content so far tho.

Reactions: maiie

maiie

Apr 10, 2020
After trying the last version, I didn't encounter previous bugs. The only one that I noticed is that music doesn't play when you're starting the day or skipping the prologue. But it appears after you enter the corridor leading to public baths.

As for the game itself, I liked it and considering that you were inspired by Bawdy Traditions I admit it feels better. Writing is very good and overall it's interesting dynamic between characters. Also, a good thing that boyfriend has his own leverage and he is not just silent observer, it gives so needed variety to games of such genre. The only concern on my part it's about default sex animation from koikatsu. I don't know how serious you're about this project, but if you could make custom animations later on, it would be much better. Still pictures during erotic events were quite arousing and nicely done, but when it came to the actual act with the boyfriend, I didn't really like the way it was handled.

I think you could easily start a Patreon right now and it will definitely get some attention, there is enough content for the first release. You can open a ticket for developer role and get ownership of the thread if you decide to do so. I'll be watching this game.
Thanks a lot, glad it's going in the right direction. I'm not taking this super seriously and I'm not interested in starting a Patreon (just doing this for fun, really). I looked at a tutorial for animations based on what you said... definitely looks like there's a learning curve to it. This is my first time using Koikatsu AND my first time using RPG Maker so just looking to get those under my belt. I have an idea for a new game when this is done that will be more complex and I think that will be a good time to learn the animating part.

Reactions: SharkVampire