I made a thing and wanted to share

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I've been messing around with DS and blender for a while now (like 2 years lol) and I finally made something I was happy with.

Behold, the "Polama Gas Stove"!

Polama_gas_konro_in_kitchen_2d_resized.jpg

The stove was modeled and uvmapped in blender, then textured in DS.
The environment is Urban Kitchen by PerspectX ( ) and the figure is Blaire on G3F, wearing the Comfy Winter Sweater set and Tinkerbell hair.

That's all!

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Disclaimer: Personal opinion of a VERY critical person.
  • Light 8/10 - okay but girl looks a little 'flat', has no real depth from shadows, could come from a headlamp but I don't think so, other shadows indicate a light-source from the left
  • Pose 9/10 - ignoring the obvious thumb clipping into her clothes
  • Image-composition 5/10 - The girls and the stove 'fight' for the viewers attention. The girl loses due to being positioned a little bit to far right. There is a color-conflict with the girl that looks friendly into the camera but then she has these dark clothes that don't match the scene with warm, friendly colors. Her lips look faded/desaturated. If the viewers attention should be on the stove, she should look at it or both arms could 'draw' some viewer guide-lines towards the stove. Her right arm already does that (from her pov).
  • Image-quality 6/10 - very noticeable grain
  • Stove 10/10 - which I guess was the main reason for the post :D
10/10 for actually learning how to model in Blender. Most people download DS, throw in pirated content into a scene, press render and f*ck up the light. *ugh* headlamp-scene

Seriously consider selling that stove on a store. Maybe add a dirty version. It's looks like you know what you are doing. Rounded edges, materials look good. Is that stove a real world product?

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Looks great. Not just that but knowing how to model, unwrap and applying textures. Now the real challenge begins, learning how to model/sculpt your own characters.

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Disclaimer: Personal opinion of a VERY critical person.
  • Light 8/10 - okay but girl looks a little 'flat', has no real depth from shadows, could come from a headlamp but I don't think so, other shadows indicate a light-source from the left
  • Pose 9/10 - ignoring the obvious thumb clipping into her clothes
  • Image-composition 5/10 - The girls and the stove 'fight' for the viewers attention. The girl loses due to being positioned a little bit to far right. There is a color-conflict with the girl that looks friendly into the camera but then she has these dark clothes that don't match the scene with warm, friendly colors. Her lips look faded/desaturated. If the viewers attention should be on the stove, she should look at it or both arms could 'draw' some viewer guide-lines towards the stove. Her right arm already does that (from her pov).
  • Image-quality 6/10 - very noticeable grain
  • Stove 10/10 - which I guess was the main reason for the post :D
10/10 for actually learning how to model in Blender. Most people download DS, throw in pirated content into a scene, press render and f*ck up the light. *ugh* headlamp-scene

Seriously consider selling that stove on a store. Maybe add a dirty version. It's looks like you know what you are doing. Rounded edges, materials look good. Is that stove a real world product?
@f95zoneuser463, thank you for taking the time to take an artist's look at my work. I appreciate the feedback immensely.

If I may, I'd like to respond to your comments:

• Light - I used a "Ghost Light" from the "Iray Ghost Light Kit" to add to the emmissive surface lights already in the "Urban Kitchen" environment model. I see what you mean with the lack of shadows.
  • Pose - Thumb clipping, oh no! To be honest I was just trying to put in a figure to enliven the scene a little, the Stove was always supposed to be the star of the show! but I guess small details like that clipping matter more than some may think...
  • Image-composition - this is a area I know very little about; I'm a software developer by trade, and my art skills are woefully underdeveloped. Thank you for this feedback, I will try to improve.
  • Image-Quality - I made only a fast render, only 8 minutes. I think I will try to let it run much longer next time.
  • Stove - <blush> thankyou!
The stove was modelled after this item, it is similar to one in my real life pictures of japanese apartment: Paloma Gas Konro PA-N39VA L-R .jpg

I'm afraid this model is not good enough to sell :(

Maybe if i keep working on this I can make a whole japanese apartment example.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Model is awesome.

You are wrong business mate. This kind of quality belongs to high grade architectural design projects.

I'm sorry and I have to say in this way No one f*cking care for this grade job in game business.

I'm huge Shogun Miniseries fan. So I bought full dvd set. In last dvd was documentary about how they complete project.

Japanese set workers, build's sets as liveable quality. If you watch the show will realize sets are superb quality. How ever it takes time and money.

In our business, target was good enough.

Good luck.

doodee

Nov 5, 2017
It's a rare case where kitchen utensil gets more attention than bewbs.
Keep up the great work, mate. :)

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
Target is never "good enough" for this business. As no matter how amazing the render. One can always go that one step further to boost their quality :)

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Its stuff like this that makes a scene lively - very well done.