Others I need help choosing an engine/sofrware for a new game.

Minsc2612

Aug 17, 2019
Hello everyone, first I am sorry if this is the wrong forum and please excuse my english :)

I am starting a new 2d game, I would like it to be something "like" Summertime Saga, but will have options to change the clothes for the ladies, inventory, and a card minigame.

Which engine/sofware should I choose? And thanks again :)

xsnowx

Jun 6, 2022
in theory you should go with what you're already good at or feel comfortable with.
you're much more likely to quit your project due to boredom and everything starting to look like a mountain you have to climb, than because of engine limitations or anything like that. enthusiasm fades away real quick so you should go with whatever way you feel is faster for you, to avoid ending up in never-ending alpha land.

Ren'py is gonna be the most popular answer here and probably the safest road to take. RPGMaker is fun and easy to use, you might get stuck if you want to do more complex things with it like your card game logic. Unity is probably overkill , I wouldn't go that way unless you really want to go deep into game development.

if you have any experience with html/js, that's a very good option too, though not an engine. With that you'd be able to do crazy good & modern UIs with libraries like bootstrap and use features that will make your game stand out a LOT from the rest. It's not an easy route if you don't know JS or don't want too much coding though

Reactions: Minsc2612

xsnowx

Jun 6, 2022
if they're all new to you, you can look at a couple of "how to make x in ren'py/rpgmaker/etc" videos on yt and see what makes sense the most to you and go from there

Minsc2612

Aug 17, 2019
Thank you!!! Yes I was reading about Ren'py and so far it seems it can do al the layered stuff i want to make, i already have an artist on board, a very close friend, so everything will be hand drawn, so ya, so far i will need something that can handle a ton of layers, buttons and menus :unsure:

So I think i will start poking Ren'py around :)

Reactions: xsnowx

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
If you go down the RenPy route (and it's a good choice if you have no background in any of the available game engines), you're almost certainly going to want to take a look at .

Now the downside... it's not really a "newbie" level topic and assumes some prior RenPy experience (which you don't have). It'll do what you are aiming to do... just don't be put off if it looks overly complicated at first glance and be ready to experiment a lot before you settle on something that feels right.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I would need layes for the clothes so the player can choose what the npc wears from a wardrobe, the resolution will be 1920×1080 :):unsure:
Oh you can stack those by large numbers. Don't mind my comment it was a bit in jest.
When I run into trouble with Renpy I'm generally asking for it tbh (using two 4k video overlay, between a parallax layer composed of multiple 4k images :HideThePain:).

Minsc2612

Aug 17, 2019
If you go down the RenPy route (and it's a good choice if you have no background in any of the available game engines), you're almost certainly going to want to take a look at .

Now the downside... it's not really a "newbie" level topic and assumes some prior RenPy experience (which you don't have). It'll do what you are aiming to do... just don't be put off if it looks overly complicated at first glance and be ready to experiment a lot before you settle on something that feels right.
Hello! I have been reading like crazy about RenPy, and I guess I will hit a ton of walls but there seems to be a lot of info and tutorials on the internet, thanks very much for the link btw! I only know a bit (tiiiiny bit) of HTML, CSS and JAVA, and have modded The Sims/Skyrim/Morrowind/Oblivion lol :LOL:. That helps me understand a bit the RenPy script, so I am not totally blind, omg I will get in to a lot of headaches but i always wanted to do this, and having an artist friend onboard is a huge step i guess, thanks again! :)

Minsc2612

Aug 17, 2019
Oh you can stack those by large numbers. Don't mind my comment it was a bit in jest.
When I run into trouble with Renpy I'm generally asking for it tbh (using two 4k video overlay, between a parallax layer composed of multiple 4k images :HideThePain:).
Ohhh I will run in to trouble a lot :p And now i know i can use parallax layers :unsure::oops: Omg I have quite the crazy road ahead my head will explode for sure :LOL:

Minsc2612

Aug 17, 2019
Hello everyone, just updating my status, i am doing Godot tutorials because i really want a robust battle system, if i fail i will try with RenPy, and if i fail again i will start over until i get it right, the life of a noob is never easy :p