I need help deciding on what to use to make a game.

Candy-Harlot

Feb 12, 2020
Hello all!

So I am not sure if this is really the place to put this topic but I wanted to start making a game. A plan on doing it as a solo endeavor. The main problem I have is that I have no idea what to look at to make my game. I plan on making it in the style of Trials in Tainted Space, Corruption of Champions 2, and Lilith's throne. Basically that means its all text based but it has a nifty little map with squares that can have room descriptions that would help with sign posting areas and making the location of things clear.

So does anyone know a game creation tool that would be good for building that sort of game? Is there somewhere else I should have put this topic? Feel free to move it to wherever is appropriate I thought this place made the most sense to me.

Thanks!

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
While those I think use unity, a game engine which requires you to make everything frosm scratch, there are things like twine or inform (Windows Git) that are more tailored to make those texted based games with. As for what TiTS and CoC2 use I don't actually remember.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
TiTS uses flash/ActionScript, CoC2 uses JavaScript, Lilith's Throne is made with Java, so all of them use custom engines made by the developers. And as such there isn't readily available engine for a game like that as far as I know.

So unfortunately, if Twine or another traditional text based game engines (such as Adrift or Inform) won't work you need to learn how to code.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saki_Sliz

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
the best VN maker would be but the UI gets on your nerves with rubbish colors stopping you being able to read any of it. so everything takes longer then it really should, but in all it will be alot faster as you rarely have to actually code anything

Candy-Harlot

Feb 12, 2020
Hmm okay I think I will look into that stuff, I have done some java and I think javascript when I was in school so I might look into that. I didn't think of using twine or inform before either. I'll look into this stuff and decide on the best approach after I see what those two can do. Thanks for the tips.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
Hmm okay I think I will look into that stuff, I have done some java and I think javascript when I was in school so I might look into that. I didn't think of using twine or inform before either. I'll look into this stuff and decide on the best approach after I see what those two can do. Thanks for the tips.
you don't need to code java, to make a standard VN with a few diolog options etc, the scripting is more for mini games etc