I need help playing Renpy.

ZhakNait

Jun 12, 2019
Hello everyone.
I need people who have programming or hardware knowledge to assist me in this problem I have when I want to start Renpy-based games.
7bbca7ec8252390088d9f961e93b44ab.png a6660bea29ac092b846f5211753c3de0.png
The game appears without graphics, only the sound sounds (only in some) as if it works normally. No matter how long you wait, it will remain the same.. The most curious thing is that by disabling the NVidia display adapter, the game works as it should. The screen appears and everything is excellent. I have tried this game (Fantasy Valley) and others with a computer worse than mine and they work perfectly.

And sometimes Nvidia errors (Code 7/Code 3) jump because of OpenGL issues and Windows timeouts. I have tried several solutions of disabling transparency, installing an update that W10 does not do automatically (NV309.8), changing certain things, but nothing works
In any case, the game does not matter because it is the same with all the similar ones.

I clarify that other games like Warcraft, Mu, Starcraft, Forager, Counter strike, etc. are perfectly.

Unity-based games work correctly
My summary specifications are as follows. Windows 10 Based on 64-bit.
3af036463a057b1b0e9ef07f01205605.png 0613d6debc3f430568a9b1448f753303.png

I would appreciate it if you could solve the problem for me.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The most curious thing is that by disabling the NVidia display adapter, the game works as it should. [... ] And sometimes Nvidia errors (Code 7/Code 3) jump because of OpenGL issues and Windows timeouts.
Hmm, my guess is a driver/GPU compatibility issue with the recent versions of Ren'py. When you disable the adapter, Ren'py cease to detect what it take for a recent card, and fall back to its old graphic rendering, that works.
You can find all the information to deal with this issue in the troubleshoot section of the forum, where this kind of issue have generated dozen of threads.

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
Long shot, but try this:

Hold down shift and start the game without releasing shift. Ideally you'll reach this screen:
Capture2.JPG
There you should choose either angle/angle2 (it uses directx 9, which your card is supposed to support) or software renderer.
It's not a guarantee, but it could work.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Long shot, but try this:

Hold down shift and start the game without releasing shift. Ideally you'll reach this screen:
View attachment 1419361
There you should choose either angle/angle2 (it uses directx 9, which your card is supposed to support) or software renderer.
If I'm not mistaken, Shift+G (while in game) opens this menu as well.

ZhakNait

Jun 12, 2019
Long shot, but try this:

View attachment 1419361
Thanks for responding.
A while ago I tried your solution but the game won't let me do any action. I squeeze, I hope and the screen is still empty.

Hmm, my guess is a driver/GPU compatibility issue with the recent versions of Ren'py. When you disable the adapter, Ren'py cease to detect what it take for a recent card, and fall back to its old graphic rendering, that works.
You can find all the information to deal with this issue in the troubleshoot section of the forum, where this kind of issue have generated dozen of threads.
Thank you for responding as well.
I'm browsing that section to look for solutions, able to get lucky.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Quick question, which may matter...

Is it a single RenPy game you're having problems with? Or all/most RenPy games? Are there any RenPy games which work okay?
If it's a specific game... which one? Ah. nvm... I missed that it was Fantasy Valley. Still, it would be handy to know if other RenPy games work okay.

I'm thinking newer games by specific developers may have the new RenPy graphics features switched on (whether they're using them or not). If it's only some RenPy games and not all of them, there may be some games where you can override the game's new behaviour and put things back to the older way it used to be done.

Last edited:

ZhakNait

Jun 12, 2019
Quick question, which may matter...

Is it a single RenPy game you're having problems with? Or all/most RenPy games? Are there any RenPy games which work okay?
If it's a specific game... which one? Ah. nvm... I missed that it was Fantasy Valley. Still, it would be handy to know if other RenPy games work okay.
Thanks for responding.
The problem happens to me with all Renpy games, whether old or new. I do not think that the Renpy engine is a problem, what fails me is some driver (surely the screen adapter) that I have and does not want to show me the graphics. Because I clarify this:
The most curious thing is that by disabling the NVidia display adapter, the game works as it should.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
It's difficult to know what to suggest.

The 309.08 driver does seem to be the latest for a 7-series nvidia graphics card. Except that driver was released in February 2015... over 6 years ago for Windows 7/8 or Vista. And whilst Windows 10 does kinda support Win 7 or 8 drivers... it's still somewhat a square peg in a round hole.

Your onboard GeForce 7025/nForce 630a was actually released in February 2006 - and whilst I'm sure you didn't buy it on day 1... that still means it's over 15 years old. For reference, Windows Vista wasn't released until 2007... so your graphics card was designed to work with Windows XP. That said, it should support DirectX 9... which RenPy supports. Though I can imagine the OpenGL driver being perhaps too told to remain compatible.

The notes here:

... seem to point to RenPy 7.4 (released Dec 2020) introducing some extra technical restrictions... although DirectX 9 remains supported. I'm only left with what others have already suggested... Holding <SHIFT> down before you start the game and keeping it held down until the game has started. Then selecting each option, until you find one that works.

The only other option I can see might be to right click on the game's .exe file and select [Properties]... then go to the [Compatibility] tab. Finally, ask Windows to run this game to be compatible with Windows 8... or 7... or Vista... or even Windows 98. I don't think that will solve it, but it's worth a try.