I need help with the Ren´Py code

MrDracosaurus

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Hello, I am making a game using Ren´Py, but I am having problems understanding the code.
Whether doing an inventory or how to make time changes.
Is there a guide or could someone pass me the code of a game that is open?
I would like to make a good game and it would help me a lot to see how certain things are done.

Thanks for reading this.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Take a look at the threads in this section and on its father section. There's a dozen for both subjects.

Since the question is way too opened, not giving a single clue about what kind of inventory, or for what purpose is the time system, it's the only possible answer.

Mad_Alice20

May 19, 2020
I don't know if you found what you looking for, but if you still in search here is a tutorial video about creating an RPG inventory in RenPy . On that chanel you can find a full tutorial about RenPy:creating a Gallery, New Screens and etc. Also cheak Thundor Games RenPy tutorial, maybe you will find something there

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Honestly if you're already struggling... I would stay away from an inventory system.
Date/Time is relatively simple by comparison... so if you're struggling with that, inventory might be a goal too far.

Aiming to "make a good game" is generally a sign that you're planning something that is too complicated. So don't.
Consider writing a simpler first game, then write your "good game" second, once you've learned the basics.

Players/Subscribers will almost always appreciate a finished simple game over of a unfinished complicated game.

But if I can't talk you out of it, consider reading...

Inventory​
Date/Time​
These are hardly an extensive list... just the threads I could find quickly.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
are you new to renpy & python?

if so it's best to learn python first before you start a major game start small by using only menu choices and text and then build on to it more when you are comfortable with it like putting time/inventory afterwards

what I mean by starting small is

create a game that only have choice menu like a game called kira kira
create mods for game while you learn

that's what I have been doing for past year and half

if you still want to do Inventory / Date/Time read these two post from lemmasoft forums from the cookbook

Last edited:

MrDracosaurus

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Thank you for your answers. And I'm sorry it took so long to respond.

My idea was to make a game similar in mechanics to Harem Hotel, Corrupted Kingdoms or Corrupted Kingdoms. But certainly, I have started relatively recently with Renpy and my knowledge of Python is nil.

I know the basics, like putting images / video, choices, something about labels ... etc, but I was having trouble understanding more complicated things like the ones I said before.

Right now I think I should learn Python, and I will also look at the links you have sent, thanks again for answering.