Madara-Uchiha

Jun 11, 2018
Hello Gyz.
I just started My account in F95 ...
I am Playing Games for a long time.
But it's my 1st day In F95...

I played many game.
I seen many mods by some @ikaruga & @D.S.-sama

I also Wana Learn How I can mod Ren'py Games.
If u Gyz Will Help That Will be a lot.

PS:- I am a beginner.. Sho i don't know much abt Ren'py or Python.

Reactions: polywog and GodGoku

CobraPL

NTR PALADIN
Donor
Sep 3, 2016
Hmm, I am also beginner in REN'PY/Python. I suppose you could do as I did:
1. Learn Python basics, like on Sololearn.
- there are useful comments from community below all chapters.
2. Do REN'PY tutorial.
3. Analyze well-written games. REN'PY allows you to see sourcecode!

Madara-Uchiha

Jun 11, 2018
Hmm, I am also beginner in REN'PY/Python. I suppose you could do as I did:
1. Learn Python basics, like on Sololearn.
- there are useful comments from community below all chapters.
2. Do REN'PY tutorial.
3. Analyze well-written games. REN'PY allows you to see sourcecode!
Thnx Bro...
I m learn that as fast as I can.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
There's two way to do. First by learning Ren'py and editing directly the game source code. The second is by learning how Ren'py works and using this knowledge to use the many callbacks and/or hijacking labels/screens to make a mod which don't explicitly depend of the game source code and so don't need to be updated with each new versions of the game. For this one, you can take a look at mods made by @bossapplesauce by example.

Madara-Uchiha

Jun 11, 2018
There's two way to do. First by learning Ren'py and editing directly the game source code. The second is by learning how Ren'py works and using this knowledge to use the many callbacks and/or hijacking labels/screens to make a mod which don't explicitly depend of the game source code and so don't need to be updated with each new versions of the game. For this one, you can take a look at mods made by @bossapplesauce by example.
thnx bro:eek:

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Hello Gyz.
I just started My account in F95 ...
I am Playing Games for a long time.
But it's my 1st day In F95...

I played many game.
I seen many mods by some @ikaruga & @D.S.-sama

I also Wana Learn How I can mod Ren'py Games.
If u Gyz Will Help That Will be a lot.

PS:- I am a beginner.. Sho i don't know much abt Ren'py or Python.
You raise a good point about learning how to mod games. While i've modded hundreds of games, I go about it the wrong way, and old habits are hard to break. I tear the game apart, and rebuild it the way that I want it. That's the wrong way.
The result is a game that I enjoy, selfishly, but 60 to 80 percent of it is someone else's work. That's a modded game, not a game mod. Bethesda would sue me if I shared their decompiled modified game, but they are pleased with mods that modify game play.

The proper way to mod, is to make your own code 100%, which others can use to modify their copy of the original game.
That way anyone who has the game can apply your mod to it, try it, and remove it if they don't like your changes.

Reactions: bas

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I started off by just focusing on RenPy code and reusing the images in the base game I was modding. I later expanded to learning Daz3D so I could make scenes using my own renders. Personally, I found Daz harder to learn than RenPy coding but they're both fairly accessible even to someone with zero coding and zero artistic experience.

One thing I would suggest if you're going to mod is to set it up as an entirely separate file rather than modifying the vanilla game's code. You'll save yourself a ton of time that way and if you're careful about it, it will mean your mod will automatically work with every new version of the game. I initially started modifying the original game's code and updates took me hours. Now I have everything as a separate file and I no longer even have to do anything when a new version comes out.

Reactions: CobraPL