I want to create a 3d game but I don't know how to start

ciceroash

Apr 10, 2020
Hello guys, I wanted some help, I'm thinking about creating a game in 3D, but I don't know which programs they use to make the game could help me please

Reactions: JTakiyaa

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
You should start with downloading Ren'Py from here: and play through the example projects which can be found in the launcher to begin with.

Once you are done, watch some tutorials that can be found on youtube about Ren'Py, such as:

Once you can make something with placeholder graphics, you are done with the first part.

At that point you will need to replace the placeholders with actual graphics, and you can do that with DAZ3D which can be downloaded here:
You can play around with it and, again, look for some tutorials on youtube such as:
You will have few resources but they are enough to learn the software and rendering.

Once you have learnt the basics of DAZ3D, you should start importing new assets, and for that you will find this link: https://f95zone.to/threads/free-stuff-for-daz-3d.22194/ quite useful.

It is a long progress riddled with many mistakes, but in a few months you should be able to make something.
Keep it simple, especially on your first project, good luck.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
depends what you mean by 3d. if you just want 2d-rendered images of pretty 3d girls like most VNs here, renpy is the easiest way to go. just don't try to make anything complicated. while it can do those things, it's the worst way of doing it. but if you want a simple VN with just a slideshow of 2d-images and text + clickable choices to jump to next scenes, it's VERY easy in renpy.

if you mean actual 3d (or more complicated 2d VN), unity is probably the easiest way to go. you will need to code everything yourself, and it helps if you know some of it. but youtube is filled with unity tutorials showing line by line how to create a simple FPS shooter or an RPG.

modeling those beautiful girls yourself might be out of your possibilities (unless you can already draw as well as your girls should look like), but it is possible to use those same pretty DAZ girls as well. well, actually anything you can think of is doable in real 3d, it's just lines of code in the end. it's a long tough road, but I see no reason why even a beginner couldn't follow a set of unity tutorials to make an RPG. (I don't mean the 1980s type rpgmaker rpg, but one with 3d characters and 3d swords walking around in a 3d land, everything made (poorly) by yourself.) it probably won't be anything you could sell until you get good at it though. but it is an amazing amount of obsessive fun that can suck you in for years or decades if you really want to do it. everybody started from zero, there's no secret to it except keep learning more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luderos

zcrlabs

Aug 19, 2020
I make games using 3dsMax and Unity. But the task is very tough, and it takes too long to do everything alone. Therefore, it is easier to create a game of choice in flash or html after extracting the 2D image with a tool like Poser.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Cul

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Preliminary: Have an idea/goal.
Step 1: Learn how to model/animate. (This will take a long time to do adequately/well.)
Step 2: Learn one of the VN/Game engines.
Step 3: Do stuff

number500

Jul 19, 2020
Maybe you should consider Godot Engine with Rakugo Framework. The learning curve is really nice for beginners.

First, follow some tutorials until you get something playable.

Then, start to implement this framework for dialogue and scene management.

3D Novelist

Sep 17, 2020
I also want to take a look into creating VNs. But I will probably use Honey Select or Koikatu. At least those are the two I know and like the character style of.
But does anyone know where games that create their characters this way get their backgrounds from or how they get the character frames out of tese character creators?

JTakiyaa

Dec 9, 2019
Hi, Maybe I'm a bit late but I am very interested in this discussion. Since I have been frequenting this site way to much this last three months and have seen the community work with each other. I seem to grow interest in making adult games as well. I wanted to make renpy based game using honey select or koikatsu since I am very bad at drawing. Even back in college I would commision the Graphic Design students to draw my game character based on my character sheet for my assignments. With covid raging like hell and my lame ass immune system, I fear for any non-work at home jobs. So I was wondering is the a group for beginners to make friends and create discussion for development and sharing ideas? I would love to make friends while learning together.

Nicole-

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, Maybe I'm a bit late but I am very interested in this discussion. Since I have been frequenting this site way to much this last three months and have seen the community work with each other. I seem to grow interest in making adult games as well. I wanted to make renpy based game using honey select or koikatsu since I am very bad at drawing. Even back in college I would commision the Graphic Design students to draw my game character based on my character sheet for my assignments. With covid raging like hell and my lame ass immune system, I fear for any non-work at home jobs. So I was wondering is the a group for beginners to make friends and create discussion for development and sharing ideas? I would love to make friends while learning together.

hi, its looks like we are on same interest.. after playing so much eroge, im kinda like to make my first adult game.. and yeah im so bad at drawing too so i planned to use koikatsu for all the image.. lets be friend :D

and btw right now, im in progress making the story first

• Red Heart

lightning978

Jul 21, 2021
Hi to you both, I realise my reply to this is over a year late but I'm interested in making an adult game and would also like to try this with a few people in a team, if you are still interested or are in the process of making stuff please do get back to me!
(my areas of skill are in music composition, story writing and I am always practicing with character creation)