• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

HTML I want to create an HTML game... Spanish or English?

Language

• Spanish (faster and easier)

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • English (Versatile but with possible errors)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Neptuno_

Game Developer
Feb 15, 2018
I want to create an html game, my native language is Spanish, I spent several years in Brazil so I'm also fluent in Portuguese, I know English but not as much as I would like, so ...

Should I make an effort to create my game in English or could I do it in Spanish and since in HTML games you can use the google translator, would it be accessible to everyone?

77-778171_pensando-meme-lol-segurando-xicara-com-o-p.jpg

I would be useful feedback your ^^

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
- define variables and passage names in English
- write the story in Spanish
- don't force players to use Google Translate: translate yourself every passage instead and include both versions in the code
- let players choose their favorite language when they start the game
* do it yourself or use Google Translate/DeepL, then refine the translation. Once your game becomes popular, probably you'll find a proofreader. If the translation is hardcoded, it's easier to fix it

Depending on the story format, game localization is implemented differently. is a solution suggested by HieV a year ago, I don't know if things have changed since then. Check out the technical forum.

About the option "Let players use Google Translate", I see two downsides:
1. afaik you cannot share your game here, it must include an English translation
2. I never tried to play a Twine game with Google Translate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it messed up the UI or if it broke the code :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: rKnight