I want to make my own RPGM Game

gfan1984

Mar 30, 2018
hello all, I was wondering how I could go about making my own RPGM game. I know I need to contact some artists for the scenes and get some sound effects, but I really want to know how it works and how I can make it happened. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what programs I need to download and if you know any artists willing to work on the project? Thank you guys I appreciate it

• Angry
Reactions: Papa Ernie

Conquestus

Modder
Jun 17, 2018
Erm... well you need a RPG Maker software. I guess here would be a good start

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
hello all, I was wondering how I could go about making my own RPGM game. I know I need to contact some artists for the scenes and get some sound effects, but I really want to know how it works and how I can make it happened. Could someone point me in the right direction as to what programs I need to download and if you know any artists willing to work on the project? Thank you guys I appreciate it
Well, I started with downloading software and working with it. You can learn from youtube videos. But practicing yourself is the main source of learning. After a couple of hundreds or thousands of hours, you'll get good.

P.S don't buy a steam version of the editor. It corrupts projects and makes development tedious. The database gets fked, your project will constantly crash (if lucky, every 30 min, if not, every 2-5 min), etc. The database takes 10x longer to open. No cure. Hundreds or even thousands of hours down the drain.

Also, use easeus backup software. Make backups. It's a free and automatic system. If the electricity goes out, there's a chance your project will crash and everything ends up being corrupted. Projects will not even open.

Last edited:

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Well first of all, you've gotta decide WHICH version to download, since you they're fairly different. The biggest difference is the programming language, which is Ruby in RPG 2003 - VX Ace and JavaScript in MV.

Once you've done that, just start messing around with the program. There's no real need to watch any tutorials. If you know how to use a computer, you'll probably be able to make a game with RPGM.

You can use Paint.NET or Photoshop for image editing, and if you want to include videos in your game, Sony Vegas. You don't really need audio editing in your game, but in that case, also use Sony Vegas or Audacity.

P.S don't buy a steam version of the editor. It corrupts projects and makes development tedious. The database gets fked, your project will constantly crash (if lucky, every 30 min, if not, every 2-5 min), etc. The database takes 10x longer to open. No cure. Hundreds or even thousands of hours down the drain.
Works fine for me.

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
Before you jump down to find artist
Just touch the program first
Trust me the custom art and visual are the last one to be concerned
If you not learn the basic of the program first
And just basic will cost you months/years
So… no point to go hire artists at this point
More than that after you start to good at it
I’m not sure you still have the will to do like right now…
Make game is something big and stress
Don’t believe the ads that this is funny easy game making program :ROFLMAO:

oh… and before you choose RPGM
You can google about other tool
If you just want to make visual novel maybe other program is more suit your game
Learning is the most powerful tool to b a dev

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
Works fine for me.
I'm able to recreate a bug on different projects. It happens when you copy a project and loads that copy into editor, then load an original.
I don't know what causes it. Is it hardware, a plugin combination, etc. But I brought the Degica version and had 0 problems since. I don't think I ever had a single crash.

Don’t believe the ads that this is funny easy game making program
Compared to any other software, it is easy and fun game making program. One of many examples how you make a HUD.

It can't be easier than that. Maybe it's different for people what's fun or not, but I have a blast every day working with RPGM. And I'm not restricted to anything to some extent. I can make VN, RPG, management game or even 3D game if I want to. It's a great software.

I recommend the MV version of the game. It's more modern, easier for the user to set up (no need for RPS or whatever it's called. Just download and play) and plugin availability is great/better?
VX Ace is also a good choice, but it's a kinda old engine, but performance is better.
With Luna engine, you can even make a great looking UI comparable to any other professional game, but that's for advanced users.

Last edited:

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
I'm able to recreate a bug on different projects. It happens when you copy a project and loads that copy into editor, then load an original.
I don't know what causes it. Is it hardware, a plugin combination, etc. But I brought the Degica version and had 0 problems since. I don't think I ever had a single crash.

Compared to any other software, it is easy and fun game making program. One of many examples how you make a HUD.

It can't be easier than that. Maybe it's different for people what's fun or not, but I have a blast every day working with RPGM. And I'm not restricted to anything to some extent. I can make VN, RPG, management game or even 3D game if I want to. It's a great software.

I recommend the MV version of the game. It's more modern, easier for the user to set up (no need for RPS or whatever it's called. Just download and play) and plugin availability is great/better?
VX Ace is also a good choice, but it's a kinda old engine, but performance is better.
With Luna engine, you can even make a great looking UI comparable to any other professional game, but that's for advanced users.
Well… I’m not talk about fact just make a joke… but I know I’m not good with joke...
My point is don’t believe it until you try it
Not everyone fitting to be a dev
And for me I kind of have depression issue to being one… haha…

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Well… I’m not talk about fact just make a joke… but I know I’m not good with joke...
My point is don’t believe it until you try it
Not everyone fitting to be a dev
And for me I kind of have depression issue to being one… haha…
Just don't think you'll become a dev in 3 months or even a year. It will take you lots of time and effort.

Even I still have some things to learn, after 7 long years using RPG Maker. The engine has a lot of scripting potential, which ends up by being bigger and bigger every time.
For example, when I first used the program, I'd never imagine creating 3D games would be possible with RPGM, and here I am, creating a dungeon crawler 3D game lol.

gfan1984

Mar 30, 2018
Thank all so much for the input. I really appreciate it.

To be a bit more specific, I wanted to to do a game in a similar mechanic to Monster Girl Quest. The exploring part is cut out instead the battles take place one after another with the story being told during the encounter with the enemy. Is there a specific program for that or is that still RPGM??

It's just the battles and H scenes that will be the focus as well as a gallery mode too.

Oh and for my idea the points of interest that I want to include are Asphyxiation, slime, tentacles, female protagonist, setting is a space station.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
Thank all so much for the input. I really appreciate it.

To be a bit more specific, I wanted to to do a game in a similar mechanic to Monster Girl Quest. The exploring part is cut out instead the battles take place one after another with the story being told during the encounter with the enemy. Is there a specific program for that or is that still RPGM??

It's just the battles and H scenes that will be the focus as well as a gallery mode too.

Oh and for my idea the points of interest that I want to include are Asphyxiation, slime, tentacles, female protagonist, setting is a space station.
You can add various battle systems into RPGM. From turn bases/turn based-action/strategy turn based to brawler type combat. It all depends on what kind of plugins you'll use.